Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimension text is off to one side when editing

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
walkbl
443 Views, 5 Replies

Dimension text is off to one side when editing

AutoCAD LT 2022

Windows 10 Pro

Trying to figure out why when I used the TEXTEDIT command on my dimension it is kicking the text off to one side instead of being inside the text editing box as it should.  My testing has revealed that it doesn't do it in some similar dimension styles.  I even used the dimension style compare tool and the only difference was the scale.  I have used these styles for a long time and have not had this problem with older versions of AutoCAD LT.  

The top one has the text way off to the left.

walkbl_0-1627395584564.png

This is how is should look:

walkbl_1-1627395674905.png

Labels (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
pendean
in reply to: walkbl

Share your DWG file, ensure it contains one "bad" and one "good" dimension so we can see the differences and issues for ourselves please.

Message 3 of 6
walkbl
in reply to: pendean

Here you go.

Message 4 of 6
pendean

Q: Why all the dim override scale? It appears you are still going old-school with your dimstyles, no annotative options being used. Annotative dimstyles might be the solution you seek.

Q2: why do you need to manually it the dimtext (the reason for your discovery)?

FWIW it appears you may be fighting an AutoCAD shortcoming from back in the day that never got addressed.

Message 5 of 6
walkbl
in reply to: pendean

perhaps it is old school - I have yet to explore the annotative dimstyles, but I don't consider that a solution to root cause of this problem.  

There are many reason to edit the text of the dimension - put in brackets to indicate reference only, override the value, add a tolerance, add a second line of text, etc, etc etc.

BTW - I opened the file I attached to this thread with my full version of AutoCAD 2006 (which I was using prior to purchasing AutoCAD LT 2022)  and both the good and the bad styles functioned correctly without the shifting.  

Message 6 of 6
walkbl

Update - 

I got in touch with Autodesk support.  I scheduled a call - their support was great BTW.  He had already researched the problem prior to the call and was able to replicate the issue. It is a bug that started in 2008 (pretty sure that was the year).  It is related to the relatively small value for overall all scale on the dim style.   Two possible solutions - but both were rooted in scaling all the other size elements up (arrow size, text size, offset, etc) so that the overall all dimension size could be larger.  My original dimension style (arrow size, etc.) was originally based on 1/4" architectural drawings rather than small (fit in your finger-tips) machined parts. - thus the small overall scale.  FYI - I did spend some time learning about Annotative dimension styles and have been using them in lieu of creating additional dimension styles at different scales.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report