Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CTAB field not displaying correctly

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
Anonymous
2498 Views, 19 Replies

CTAB field not displaying correctly

I'm using AutoCAD Lt 2020. After installing the latest update (2020.1), my CTAB fields are not displaying correctly (example: it shows S3.0 on the S2.0 tab). When I perform a plot preview, they are shown correctly, but I would like to see them displayed correctly within the tabs. I've tried all variations of FIELDEVAL to get it to work, but they still show incorrectly. Does anyone know if it's related to the update? They were working great before. Also, in case it matters, I would like to point out that the fields are through an x-ref.

Tags (3)
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

Walk us though your exact steps to create the field and the problem: or post your DWG file with the problem, point to the field in question.

Message 3 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

See attached. Let me know if you have issues.

In case it's just my machine causing the issue, I provided a screenshot of what I'm seeing.

Thanks

Message 4 of 20
steven-g

Your field is located through a layout viewport, it shows up for me saying 'model' which would be correct seeing as the field is actually located in modelspace and no on the paper layout. Plus it is inside an xref, that all adds up to a lot of confusion. Did this actually work previously? I  may be wrong but that could be your issue.

Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: steven-g

I agree; it does seem like a long trail for it track, but it did work before today. Same file. Did you try to do a plot preview? It probably shows the correct tab like it does for me. It just doesn't show correctly on screen.

Message 6 of 20
Anonymous

Oops, I just realized when I created this file for this post, I inserted the xref on a non-printing layer. Change that before plot preview.

Message 7 of 20
pendean

In LT2019 and LT2020 your CTAB fields in all layouts show MODEL here in your PLANS file.

How far back ago did your method work?

EDIT: I forgot to add, your field updates as you describe it and when I close and open the file at that layout. I can confirm the behavior on both versions of LT and in full AutoCAD 2019.1.2/2020.1.

Oh, and you do not lock your viewports AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

🙂

Message 8 of 20
cadffm

@steven-g 

If fields would works how you explained it would be very nice, but they doesn't.

Update the field (REGENALL for example/depends of FIELDEVAL), and the field shows

the CTAB of "PointOfView", not the CTAB "PointOfPlacing".

@Anonymous 

A field in Modelspace to show CTAB will show you the ctab name of the layout where you are.

Current Layout is s1.0, the field in an object in modelspace will show you "S1.0",

current Layout is s3.1, the field in an object in modelspace will show you "S3.1",

if the field is updated (REGENALL, FIELDEVAL).

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 9 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

It worked just yesterday in LT2020. Have you tried doing a plot preview like I mentioned above? You'll need to put the Xref on a printing layer (oops). The fields show up correctly when I plot.

Maybe I'm going crazy; maybe it didn't work yesterday? 

I made a mental note to start locking viewports! I have lots to learn.

Message 10 of 20
RobDraw

We get mixed results with CTAB in XREFs. Some machines work with a regen, others need to reopen the file when changing the tab name. Don't know why, so we started putting the field directly on the layout.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 11 of 20
cadffm
in reply to: RobDraw

I am missing my last post here.. 😞

So again but shorter than the original try yesterday.

There is an OLD bug

at Autodesk: please fix this bug in all versions . Was it not already registered?

@natasha.l -

Rob: Please keep your comment for my "at Autodesk" for you, thank you.

1. When you open a file where are no field inside,

2. except field inside an attached external reference,

3. then OPEN QSAVE and REGEN/REGENALL doesn't works well as "update trigger"

Fix for one file session:

If fieldeval is set for plotting(4), it is enough to use the PLOT PREVIEW one time,

QSAVE and REGEN/REGENALL will works as update trigger now again (depending of your fieldeval setting, clear).

Or independent of fieldeval(4), whatever works:

Create one field (and delete it), after this QSAVE and REGEN/REGENALL also works as update-trigger.

General fix for this mainfile:

Create one field and don't delete it, save the file.

Bug since Fields are available? I don#t know, but sure since 2013.

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 12 of 20
RobDraw
in reply to: cadffm

@cadffm wrote:

Rob: Please keep your comment for my "at Autodesk" for you, thank you.

This is not the place for bug reports or fixes. This thread is about CTAB fields in XREFs. It consistently works for some machines and not for others. Most likely it is a setting, not a bug. 

Rob

Message 13 of 20
cadffm
in reply to: RobDraw

I know that, an i know t´hat you know that i know that 😄
and yet I write this sentence in the forum, thanks for the renewed reference to known fact.

And now, back to the problem:
(in this case here, fieldeval is set to 31 what incl. 4, so you just need to use the plot preview, then regenall works as it should)

_

>"This is not the place for bug reports or fixes. This thread is about CTAB fields in XREFs."

and all what i wrote is to solve the problem, yes.

>"It consistently works for some machines and not for others."

In this case, excuse my doubts about the statement as far as it is concerned to this thread, this case.

>"Most likely it is a setting, not a bug."

I guess you didn't test this case(this thread) or you didn't test it well,

Would you please test it one time again (this case) on a machine where you mean it works differently?

# Open Plans,dwg from post#3 and set Layout 'S3.0' current, can you force the xref'd field to update?

Because of you, you have to start acad in /safemode first and then the Plans.dwg ,

so it is less possible that your customized stuff play a role.

As it should be, I test it on Standardinstallations with standard profiles.

Sorry, but i have so many plain standard products/profile running here, i am sure it isn't a usual setting and never more it would be never sensuful.

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 14 of 20
RobDraw

@cadffm wrote:

I guess you didn't test this case(this thread) or you didn't test it well,

If you're going to argue with me, you're going to need better English as I didn't understand most of what you said.

I said that in this office we have several machines where the CTAB in XREFs works when changing the name of the tab and several that don't. On the machines that it doesn't update, the user needs to close and reopen the file. If you don't think that is not testing well, then you are blowing smoke. I don't control how these machines are set-up. So, instead of finding the cause of the problem, I put the field directly on the layout where the tab that I want to read is. Problem solved for me and I can move on. Hopefully, you take your supposed bug report and do the same.

Rob

Message 15 of 20
Anonymous

Inserting a field and saving the drawing worked for this file.

Thank you!

Message 16 of 20
Anonymous

Try typing fieldeval and setting that to 31. That solved the same issue for me.

Message 17 of 20
cadffm

If you would have the same issue, it isn't solve the problem 😉

So when it solves your problem, it isn't the same 🙂

The issue here was: Fields only in a Xref file, but no fields in the main file and never started the field command in this file session.

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 18 of 20
cadffm

Or if it works in this case: Tell us your product version (command ABOUT)

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 19 of 20
Anonymous

Product Version: Q.111.0.0 AutoCAD 2020.1.3

I felt that my issue was very similar, if not the same.

My field was showing Model instead of the tab name.

This was in the page view.

When I changed fieldeval from 4 to 31 it fixed the issue.

If I'm far off on this issue being similar, I apologize for posting in this thread.

Message 20 of 20
cadffm

No,

if you have fields inside the current file and your fieldeval is set to 4 (update just by plot commands),

but you want to update the field also by regen save and so on,

then it is just a wrong setting for your needs.

! Fieldeval 31 is the standard setting, all other values are changed by a user of this file.

https://help.autodesk.com/view/ACD/2021/ENU/?guid=GUID-EF5D2DDE-A170-4BB4-8F76-7F3FAFE30E56

Sebastian

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report