Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy layer properties to another file

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
beateAG38M
1689 Views, 4 Replies

Copy layer properties to another file

I have a project with 3 almost identical floor plans. To simplify the process, I detailed one file, now I want to make exact same changes on other ones. Changes include layer appearance (a lot of changes in lineweight, linetype and true color layers). Can I copy all layer properties (lineweight, colors etc) to others at the same time ? Going one by one would be too time consuming. In the past I would copy the first file, delete everything and paste what I need to the same coordinates, but there are a lot of small changes and I don't want to miss any. Is there a better solution? I've seen post about LAYTRANS, but i cant find that command ( I have AutoCAD LT, maybe that's the reason). 

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
pendean
in reply to: beateAG38M
Message 3 of 5
beateAG38M
in reply to: pendean

I looked at that option, I can copy layers through design center, the problem is, I already have same layers in the old file. So - I can't copy layers, because they already exist in the file and they have objects in them, so I cant delete them. I guess I want to replace just properties in the same layers. Layer state only copies state as in visible/ lock/ freeze. 

Message 4 of 5
pendean

AutoCAD rule #1 that's been around forever: content already defined in your DWG file is NEVER replaced by content you import from other files. So yes, if that is the case in your files then those solutions do not work.

I believe the same link (or was it another) that suggested using the above rule to your advantage: insert your "broken" file into the other "perfect" file instead, then SAVEAS to have it all set the way to eventually want it.

Give it a try: and never forget that #1 rule.

Message 5 of 5
beateAG38M

thanks for reminding me 😁

I was hoping there was a better solution, but I guess this will work. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators