Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing an open viewport

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
JamesPowell7164
16363 Views, 11 Replies

Closing an open viewport

Hello my fellow AutoCAD aficionados,

I have told all in my organisation to "lock" viewports when they have set the viewport scale. Thus, when they mistakenly open a viewport they can zoom out and click out side the boundary to close it. Being in the infancy of use, some people forget this simple task and do not lock the viewports. So, I have a stream of new users that are working in model space, creating viewports in paper space, they then proceed to double click in viewports without being able to see the boundary of the viewport and so are stuck in limbo.

Is there a way to close an open viewport if you cant see the boundary to click outside of?

I hope that makes sense.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: JamesPowell7164

Hi,

Use "PSPACE" command to get out on an open viewport.

Try it!

Cheers!

Message 3 of 12
hwalker

Or if they have the taskbar at the bottom, when they're in model space it should say MODEL, just click on that and it will change to PAPER and they're now in paperspace

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 4 of 12
steven-g

And another one for the list "_vpmin" (_vpmax to go into a full viewport), this is also one of the icons on the lower right of the screen, with a handy set of direction arrows to skip between available viewports within a layout, though the icon itself can be turned on/off with the "viewport maximize" in the application status bar menu settings.

Message 5 of 12
JamesPowell7164
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks pal

Message 6 of 12
JamesPowell7164
in reply to: hwalker

Hi Howard

The particular person was n paper space and had opened a viewport without locking it. she zoomed in and then doubled clicked which opened the viewport. Whilst the model tab was open to her she couldn't close the viewport to zoom back out. I am not sure your suggestion works.

Message 7 of 12
JamesPowell7164
in reply to: steven-g

Hi Steve

I found the viewmax and viewmin icon but didn't find the other "ARROWS" that you speak of.

See attached screenshot

Message 8 of 12
hwalker

Bottom left hand corner of that screenshot says MODEL. If you click on that it changes to PAPER and you'll be back in paperspace no matter if you're zoomed in or not.

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 9 of 12
pendean

This is a button: click on it, it changes name to/from PAPER/MODEL and changes 'spaces' too, no need to remember command names

Capture.JPG

Message 10 of 12
JamesPowell7164
in reply to: pendean

Dean

thanks for your help but I don't think I explained myself very well.

The operator was in paper space and had zoomed so that the limits of the viewport were not visible. THEN she double clicked by accident and opened the viewport. Because she couldn't see the edges of the view port she couldn't click outside it to close the viewport and thus zoom out.

The pspace command seems to do the trick.

Let me know if that makes any sense at all - thanks for your help again though.

Message 11 of 12
JamesPowell7164
in reply to: pendean

DOH!!!!!!!!!!

I see now - I was looking at the wrong "MODEL" button. I was looking at the model tab.

How could I ever have doubted you!! lol

thanks to all that have contributed to this post.

Message 12 of 12

This method works as well as the pspace command. When you double click on a viewport in paper space you open the viewport wich means you pass to model space in paper space, and by clicking on MODEL tab you pass back to paper space and will be able to zoom out again. Hope it is coherent enough. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report