Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Default Utlities

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
padraig.gaughanH3RYD
173 Views, 3 Replies

Change Default Utlities

Hi

I am just wondering how to permanently change some default utility settings.

When I open a new drawing my unit precision is automatically set to 0.00.

Now to change this I go to the Application Menu Button -- Drawing Utilities -- Units -- And then change the precision to whatever I want, thats ok.

But is there any way to make this change my permanent default, instead of having to change it everytime I open a new blank drawing

Thanks 

P

Labels (3)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Hi,

>>When I open a new drawing my unit precision is automatically set to 0.00"

0.00 ? So you already use a "template" drawing to create new files and this is the right way.

What you have to do: Create or edit the template file for your needs!

For example: New drawing, change LUPREC/AUPREC to your needs, save the file as *.dwt

And optional, set the quicknew setting to this file

[F1] QNEW

OPTIONS/FILES/ search for the path for QNEW

>>"But is there any way to make this change my permanent default,"
This setting is stored in each file, so for ne files, go the way I pointed to.

Diese Einstellung wird in jeder Datei gespeichert. Gehen Sie also für neue Dateien wie oben beschrieben vor.

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 3 of 4

@padraig.gaughanH3RYD Permanent? In AutoCAD/LT, you can user can get close to that with one or more of these methods:

1. Create a unique-to-you TEMPLATE file with all the settings you'd ever want and only use that for new files (and INSERT then SAVEAS with outside files and existing files).
  2. OR... Set up a long list of all your desired variables settings in SYSVARMONITOR command, make an effort to watch out for its alerts when you open files that have different variable settings, and fix them.
  3. And/OR... Create macro buttons in the RIBBON or toolbars to reset any or all these variables, click them every time.
  4. If you are running LT2024, you can dive into the big world of LISP coding to do #3 above too.
  5. OR.. run a detailed SCRIPT every single time you open a DWG file that will just automatically set all o your desired variables to your desired settings regardless of the circumstances (tip #3 and #4 above are ways to run script file if you find launching SCRIPT command to be too tedious).
  6. You could take on the mammoth task of editing your Windows Registry settings (if and when you can find the setting you want there) to do what you want, but that's usually a total waste of time for the average user (and a bit risky). 
Message 4 of 4

Thanks, I just entered in ChattGPT and it gave me this (which worked):

In AutoCAD LT, you can set your preferred unit precision as the default by modifying the template file that is used when creating a new drawing. Here are the steps to do this:

1. Open AutoCAD LT.

2. Change the unit precision to your preferred settings using the steps you mentioned: Application Menu Button > Drawing Utilities > Units.

3. Once you have set the units to your liking, type "SAVEAS" in the command line.

4. Choose a location to save the file and give it a name, such as "DefaultTemplate.dwt". Make sure to select the file type as "Drawing Template (*.dwt)".

5. Save the template file in a location where AutoCAD LT can easily access it. A common location is the Templates folder within the AutoCAD LT installation directory.

6. Now, you need to tell AutoCAD LT to use this template as the default when creating new drawings. To do this, go to the Options dialog:

• Type "OPTIONS" in the command line and press Enter.
    • In the Options dialog, go to the "Files" tab.
  7. Look for the "Template Settings" section, and under "Default Template File Name for QNEW," browse to and select the template file you just created (e.g., DefaultTemplate.dwt).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report