Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

batch or export plotting permission denied to open pdf

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
wisedrawing
2583 Views, 4 Replies

batch or export plotting permission denied to open pdf

Up until recently I have been single page plotting without any issues,

however recently having learnt how to batch plot and export to PDF and have a multiple page document I have run into serious issues:

upon first batch plotting or exporting and producing a multiple page PDF document everything seems fine. the documents open and you can scroll through the pages, I have sent them to clients and they work fine.

however on the next day the PDF will now NOT open and it comes up with the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC page with a list of recent documents and an error message that says: Access denied, you don't have permission. The document will not open.

strangely then if I go the the email sent of the PDF document and open it there it opens, I can take it from the email and put in back in my files and it opens again no issue. I have tried various drop down changes to different ACAD printer options to PDF and none of that makes any difference

I have looked at basic PDF permissions, but I am not very knowledgeable in those areas, however it makes no sense as I have never had an issue with single page documents

help appreciated

Darren

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
wisedrawing
in reply to: wisedrawing

updated information

the most common advise in this scenario of the error message 'access denied' is to open adobe DC and to go to Edit > preferences . security enhanced (or general tab for older versions) and deselected 'enable protected mode at start up' - problem is that option is already not selected.

also after wasting hours searching for all this I tested it on my Fox reader (a completely different reader) and the problem also arises with a different error message: 'The document could not be opened. It may already be opened or in use by another application'

so it seems not an adobe or reader setting. its something from the ACAD end that is different in export or batch plotting

also one most important factor is that if I attach it to an email and then use that emailed pdf file in any location it works perfectly

some help would be appreciated greatly

Darren

Message 3 of 5
pendean

That has never ever happened to me: but I've always had a full admin login in Windows and the network.

"Access denied" is your Windows or Server login credentials restricting access almost always, plus "open in other program" is always a red flag you tied that file up doing something else often tied to where you save files. Let me guess where you save your files: under the AutoCAD Program folder, or similar system folder or a backup drive, correct?
Or do you save and work on file from MY DOCUMENTS folders on your PC or a non-say stem shared folder on your file server (that's not an old desktop PC's My documents)?

Explain more please. There is nothing in AutoCAD alone that will fix your issue, but your setting PUBLISH command (like open the PDF after creation or leaving backgournd publishing on) can contribute to quirks you are observing.
Message 4 of 5
wisedrawing
in reply to: pendean

Hi Dean

all my files are saved in my documents tree nothing quirky there and importantly it does not happen when single page plotting only batch potting or exporting. Never had an issue previously ever.

also as stated I can batch print multiple pages then immediately attach to an email and send to myself and use that pdf back in the same folder sitting next to the pdf that will not open and it works perfectly

to add to the confusion first batch print of the multi page pdf will work, it is only after turning the computer off and restarting that the pdf decides not to open.

btw this is just me on my computer, there are no networks or servers or clouds (except backup that I do manually)

my fix is to go back to single page plotting where no problem exists, or send the batch plotted multi page pdf via email then take it off the email and voila! but to me that seems like a bad work around.

?? 

Darren

Message 5 of 5
wisedrawing

In a complex world there's nothing like a simple solution:

On my system when starting ACAD as an administrator:

• It seems that in single page normal print to PDF all works and pdfs open
  • using export or batch print for multiple page printing: the PDF opens first but on restarting the computer it wont open

I felt that there could be a simple answer in the failed PDF notifications 'permission' could it be that not running ACAD as an administrator would stop some 'quirk' from tagging the PDF file making it no longer 'permission denied'?

start ACAD without 'as administrator' just normal double click =

• works perfect, close and restart computer: works perfect
  • next day open the PDF files and yes they open.

Solution: don't start ACAD as administrator

Darren

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators