Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD LT 2017 Object Snap Tracking issues- help?

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
Anonymous
4533 Views, 22 Replies

AutoCAD LT 2017 Object Snap Tracking issues- help?

I just upgraded to AutoCAD LT 2017 and am having issues with object snap tracking. I've included a screencast showing my problem.

The problem occurs when I try to create a new polyline referenced from a point over an existing polyline. In my screencast I drew a 12" line and had no issues when trying to draw a new polyline 4" or more from the left endpoint. When I try to draw a new polyline 1", 2", and 3" from the left endpoint the command doesn't work.

Any ideas why this is happening and how to fix this issue?

EDIT: When reviewing the video, I see typing in 4" didn't work either, as the new PL snapped to the midpoint of my first PL. So that's an issue, too.

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
Imui
in reply to: Anonymous

snap to nearest
Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: Imui

I don't understand what you want me to do with that...

Message 4 of 23
john.vellek

Hi kw-arch,

I tried to duplicate this exercise in AutoCAD LT 2017 on my computer.

I think the problem you are having lies in the fact that you do not pause long enough over the startpoint.

I have attached a screencast and you will see that as I hover, the dynamic text actually changes before I enter the value for the new length.

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if my post fully solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

Thanks for the response, but unfortunately that's not solving it for me, whether I have dynamic input on or off (I keep it off since it irritates me). My cursor still seems to be snapping to the nearest point to the length I enter.

Message 6 of 23
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

It looks like you are getting the start point for your lines. When you are selecting the direction (I assume your ortho is on), is it possible that you have other snap settings on that are getting in the way since your cursor is so close to the existing line?

Perhaps try toggling some of the OSNAPS off to see if it impacts the performance as well as moving your cursor a bit further away from the exisitng line.

Let me know the results please.

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if my post fully solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 7 of 23
pendean

What is OSMODE variable set to in your screencast?
Message 8 of 23
Anonymous

Thanks again for the response. Yes, it works if I turn off Osnap. This isn't very useful, however, because I need Osnap to indicate the initial reference point. I draw like this all the time and have never had an issue in previous versions of AutoCAD- the distance I entered manually always overrode the Osnap. Moving my cursor well beyond the end of the initial line also isn't providing the desired results.

Message 9 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

OSMODE is 47.

Message 10 of 23
pendean

So basically what we are saying is this: one of your running Osnaps is the culprit in why you cannot complete the task you show.

Any reason you cannot simply tap F3 to flick off the running osnaps, do what you need to do, then tap F3 to flick it back on? It's worth testing to confirm our guesses are accurate.

I tried to repeat your video actions here in LT2017 and I must be missing something that it is not failing the same way. Only thing I'm not doing is hovering too close to the ENDPOINT/MIDPOINT as you do.

Message 11 of 23
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

I am still unable to duplicate the problem. I will do some more research but it is unlikely that I will find anything definitive. I suggest as a workaround that toggling your snaps on and off using the F3 key can work for you.

Perhaps this is a mouse precision issue. Can you try another mouse to see if that changes the results?

You could also do a Reset Settings to Default but I am not positive it will have any impact other than to make you go through the exercise.

John Vellek

Message 12 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

I've tried each Osnap setting individually, but the dimension only enters correctly if all are off. The reason I don't want to turn F3 on and off mid-command is because it's awkward and hampering productivity. I haven't had any issues with this on previous versions of AutoCAD. I was hoping there might just be a new system variable in 2017 that was causing this, but at this point I just want to go back to 2016.

Message 13 of 23
Anonymous

That's disappointing to hear. No, it's not a mouse issue. I was hoping there might just be a new system variable in 2017 that was causing this, but it seems like more of a bug on my end. I might try restoring to default anyway, because working around this is driving me crazy.

Message 14 of 23
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous

Did you try any of the other options such as a different mouse or a Reset? Since none of us can get this to happen and duplicate your results, perhaps there is something else going on.

John Vellek

Message 15 of 23
Anonymous

Hi- It wasn't the mouse, but it works fine after resetting to default. Apparently it's an issue with importing custom settings. Not the results I was hoping for, tbh, since now I have to start from scratch with the customization.

This issue happened with the other computers in our office, too. All new machines and clean installs of 2017 with imported custom settings from the old computers.

Message 16 of 23
john.vellek

HI @Anonymous,

At least we know where the problem lies. I suggest that you try importing customization again but one category at a time. Test between each step to determine at what point it fails. I don't think the import is at fault but one of your customizations is at fault. If you can identify which one, then fixing the other workstations will go much faster for you.

John Vellek

Message 17 of 23
Anonymous

Can you point me in the direction of instructions as to how to import one setting at a time? I wasn't aware that was possible (small office, no tech support- I'm trying to figure this out as I go). Thanks!

Message 18 of 23
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

I guess the real question is what kind of customizations do you have? I like to isolate all my unique company-related customizations in their own folder and simply add it to the support file path.

Can you give me an idea of what you are trying to save and then move into your new release?

If you elect to use the Autodesk provided utility (Migrate from a previous release), just check one category at a time for your import(s).

I always prefer to do all of this manually so I know exactly what is getting migrated and to where.

Capture.PNG

John Vellek

Message 19 of 23
Anonymous

So, due to the fact that I was upgrading ACAD as well as switching computers, I ended up installing LT 2016 on the new computer, importing my settings from the old computer, then migrating all of the settings from 2016 to 2017. This seems to have solved the issue. Previously I installed 2017 on the old computer and then migrated and exported my settings and imported them on the new.

Thanks for all your help on this.

Message 20 of 23
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous

I am glad things are back to "Normal" for you and that you should be able to get back to work. Thanks for your patience. 

John Vellek

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators