Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD LT 2010 "Not Responding" on file open or file save

27 REPLIES 27
SOLVED
Message 1 of 28
invectra
7118 Views, 27 Replies

AutoCAD LT 2010 "Not Responding" on file open or file save

System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Problem: After having worked flawlessly for about a year, yesterday I was unable to either save or open files. I can draw and plot just fine. I tried using both "Repair" and "Reinstall" from the Windows Control Panel. Unfortunately, having purchased the program by download from the Autodesk store, I don't have a CD from which I could do a total reinstall.

Thoughts?

27 REPLIES 27
Message 2 of 28
pendean
in reply to: invectra

>>....I was unable to either save or open files...<<<
Explain: what happens, what error messages, how and what are you using or doing to try these functons.
Message 3 of 28
invectra
in reply to: pendean

As to trying to open a file, none of the standard means work: clicking on the "Open FIle" icon, going to the File menu and selecting Open, or Ctrl+O.

As to trying to save a file, same thing: clicking on the "Save" icon, File menu, Save, or Ctrl+S

In both cases, an hourglass appears; shortly thereafter "Not Responding" appears on the title ribbon and stays forever. The only thing that works is closing the program -- I get the "AutoCAD is not responding, Close or Wait dialog box, and, upon closing, "Windows is trying to find a solution, and then that goes away.

Message 4 of 28
pendean
Message 5 of 28
invectra

No joy! User Account Control already Never, default template in use, and dll is up to date.And I don't get any error message. I noticed all the other posts related to problems on attempting to open files, but no mention of on attempting to save, which I get too.

Message 6 of 28
pendean

Where are you storing your files exactly, and how are you connected to that source?
And what if you change things up as a test?
Message 7 of 28
invectra

my documents\autodesk\*.dwg

But when I try to open  a file, I never even get to the dialog box to pick a location--it stops responding immediately on, say, pressing Ctrl+O, so don't think changing locations would matter. But I'll try.

Just did -- no change. Also, "New" hangs it up, too.

Message 8 of 28
pendean

That just sounds like your pop-up(s) is off screen (did you used to use a second monitor or change the display settings?).
http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Dialog-...
Message 9 of 28
invectra

Thanks for that idea. However, it doesn't quite apply -- no to your questionsm and Esca[e doesn't bring it back from Not Responding. In the meantime, in anticipation of having to buy a replacement copy -- something newer, I totally uninstalled it. Then, seeing there was still a "Setup.exe" file in the \Program Files\AutoCAD LT 2010, decided to see what would happen. Well, what happened was I could reinstall the program, and now can open, save, and new. Go figure?

Message 10 of 28
invectra

Spoke too soon! Went to save a drawing, and got the "Not Responding" again! By the way -- how does one give Kudos? There's someone I'd like to give one to, but I don't see where/how? Tried Options in that person's response, but not there.

Message 11 of 28
pendean

"not responding" is a system level message: your operating system is busy.

At the bottom of each message, in line with REPLY and QUICK REPLY blue buttons is a thumbs-up logo with the work KUDOS next to it. You have to be logged in to see it and give it I believe.
Message 12 of 28
invectra

Thanks, Dean. Problem is, with no other programs running, the "Not Responding" message remains on the title bar indefinitely (went away and had lunch once).Actually, when I first try to open or save, nothing at all happens -- the "Not Responding" only appears after I try again, try to Escape, or try to close the program.

And thanks for the other info -- I'll put it to good use!

Message 13 of 28
pendean

Is 2010 fully patched and updated?
What changed in your system, or the network, the day (or day before) all of this broke? Find out, ask around, contact your Help Desk if you have one. Something did.

Can you start AutoCAD to a blank file (not one of your templates) without the 'not responding"? If yes, use RECOVER command to open a file. Does it open? If yes, unplug from your network and internet (and external drivers and phone etc.), start SAVEAS command and create a copy of the open file on your PC on your desktop. Not Responding? Or did it work? If it worked, close the file, then try to open it: Not responding or did it work? if it worked, plug back into the network and repeat this last experiment. Repeat with external drives and your phone if applicable.
Message 14 of 28
invectra

Please forgive me, but I'm throwing in the towel and buying a new edition -- I just can't go any longer without being able to open or save. Of course, I'm praying the new version works flawlessly after installation. If not, I'll have installation support from Autodesk. Thank you all very much for all your attempts to get me going!

Message 15 of 28
pendean

Download the test the free trial version first.
Message 16 of 28
Sse0909

I'm having this same problem. I have a desktop running Windows 7 Pro 64. I also have a laptop with Windows 10. I run AutoCAD LT 2010 on both machines. I share files via backups to an external hard and backup to the computer hard drives. Just now I am having this problem with my Windows 7 machine. I can open a blank file and there are some .dwg files that I can open by double clicking the file in the file folder. However, once I click "open" the program stops responding. No error message. Other .dwg files get to 99% and stop responding after double clicking them in the file folder. On my Windows 10 machine I can open the files. This makes me suspect that Microsoft inserted a problem update in recently and has effectively rendered my AutoCAD useless. If so is there something I can do or do I have to update to Windows 10? I would rather not as I have a lot of trouble printing from my Windows 10 machine. The drivers for some of my printers don't seem to be compatible...
Message 17 of 28
pendean
in reply to: Sse0909

No one here can help if Microsoft updates are the culprit. Try a system restore back to a date without those udpates and see if that helps.

And if you want to upgrade Win7 to Win10 you'll have to research that at Microsoft's website.

Explore these Autodesk solutions for OPEN command crashes:
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Freeze...
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Autoca...
and
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/AutoCA...
Message 18 of 28
Sse0909

SOLVED. I attempted system restore several times, but that always failed indicating that the failure might be due to an anti-virus program. I am not running any anti-virus program. In any case AutoCAD still failed to respond once I clicked on the file "open" icon. I began sorting through programs and looking at the "installed on" date. I removed a couple of programs and the offending program I believe was "Dropbox, Inc", which I used recently to share files with a colleague. After uninstalling that program I have been able to use AutoCAD once again. Although I don't fully comprehend how this caused a disruption, the problem appears to be solved. Thank you for taking the time to respond here.
Message 19 of 28
pendean
in reply to: Sse0909

Thanks for posting what worked for you: DROPBOX works fine here for our entire office so that's probably not a universal fix for everyone else. I suspect LT2010's age may be starting to show as all your apps and OS continue to update and ugprade but it remains staticly stuck in the year 2009.
Message 20 of 28

I would like to add to this. I just spent 3 hours trying to figure out why my Auto cad 2010 was not letting me save or open. I could work in a drawing if I opened it from explorer but could not save it. I found this discussion and read all the way thru and remembered that i did something with drop box on Monday. Today is Thursday and I have worked in Auto Cad everyday. Not sure why it chose today to act up. Anyways I just deleted Dropbox and I am able to work normally now' open and save documents. also I have noticed my auto cad works faster. Not sure what this is about but I felt I should let you know that it worked for me also. Delete Dropbox.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost