Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2018 LT toolbars/ button not locking in place

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
2433 Views, 7 Replies

2018 LT toolbars/ button not locking in place

Not sure if I am being a complete muppet (which is quite likely) but being of the old sort who was used to using buttons I initially set up my view with many of the common ones I nick bits from, lock them (and have saved them as a current view quite a few times as well) but when closing cad and reopening the correct button bars are still there but it doesnt leave them in the positions I put them in and just stacks them (see screen shot)

I realise I should try using the ribbon and I do have it minimised to try to get me used to using it but its much quicker for me using the buttons I am used to at the moment.

I have tried leaving them locked, unlocked and setting a fresh "workspace" with them in place but they still go a bit nuts on opening the software again.

So is it me? or is there something gone a bit squiff?

Thanks

Heidicad buttons.jpgcad buttons normal.jpg

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

Known issue, no fix: since toolbars are no relegated to the 'legacy' bin you might consider adopting the Ribbon, which is just a toolbar with tabs that you can move commands around with, as explained here

ToolbarsVSribbon.JPG

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Thank you for confirming it's not just me being a nugget and actually an issue.

I don't have time to learn how to use the ribbon at the moment as its just too time consuming, so I might just make one big button bar with just the ones i use the most on it. 🙂

thanks

Heidi

Message 4 of 8
pendean

As part of the ribbon there is a QAT toolbar that just sits there: why not load that up with your most used icons as you "learn" the Ribbon? I suspect it will hold 50+ buttons, see below, I have it docked below the Ribbon instead of the default top of the ribbon (and as you can see my Ribbon is customized too

Capture.PNG

There are two ways to add commands to the QAT:

- The long way http://www.neit.edu/blog/index.php/2015/04/autocad-create-and-add-a-button-to-the-quick-access-tool-...

- The short quick way https://cadsetterout.com/autocad-tutorials/layering-productivity-never-use-layers-pull-down-again/

It's not rocket science: once you use it you'll kick yourself for being afraid or trying it. All of us around here are old-timers from back in the day DOS AutoCAD, we managed to convert.

Message 5 of 8
user181

Hi @Anonymous, as mentioned there is no fix for docked toolbars but if you move them somewhere in the center of the screen to undock them you can then hold the CTRL key down and drag them and line them up under the drawing tabs and leave them floating they will stay there when you open cad again. 

EESignature

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Dean, that's just perfect. It will be the ideal way to drag me into getting used to the ribbon, I shall set some time to do that this afternoon.

You're a star.

Ta

Heidi

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: user181

Thanks for another good solution @user181 

I'm going to give Dean's suggestion a go because if nothing else, I really do need to stop being such a lala and just embrace the ribbon 😄

Thanks

Heidi

Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

Hello to all who commented:

I just wanted to come back and say a big huge thank you to everyone who contributed to stopping me being set in my ways and giving me the nicest of pokes into using the ribbon.

You will now all be very happy to hear that I have persevered with it, my muscle memory has now developed for the new locations and with the quick start showing the other odd buttons that I do have to normally hunt for, my CAD speed is back up to top notch again without too much drama at all!

So the old dog new tricks saying is a lie. I've managed it and I'm an idiot!

Thank you again all, your help has been very much appreciated!

Heid's x

Image result for thank you

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators