Zoom Extents only displays a limited portion of my drawing

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
pwk
Advocate
693 Views, 9 Replies

Zoom Extents only displays a limited portion of my drawing

Hi,

I am using AutoCAD 2018.  I have been working on one particular drawing for quite some time.  Since yesterday, doing "Zoom Extents" no longer displays the entire extents of my drawing.  Instead, it displays a specific (zoomed-in) portion of my drawing.  I can view the entire extents of my drawing by zooming out a few times and panning as necessary, but "Zoom Extents" always returns me to the same exact zoomed-in view.  I was wondering if anyone here can tell me how I can correct this so that "Zoom Extents" will work as intended.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
cadffm
in reply to: pwk

How far away from WCS0,0,0 ?

Command: UCS world

Command: ID

If far away (10.000.000,10.000.000 and more), move all near to WCS0,0,0 and try it again.

(Would by simpler for all if the file were reachable as attachment)

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: cadffm

Would "limits" cause Zoom Extents to only zoom to the established drawing limits?  Try turning off limits?

Message 4 of 10
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

Would "limits" cause Zoom Extents to only zoom to the established drawing limits?  Try turning off limits?

No, it would not.  Having Limits Checking turned on would only prevent you from drawing things involving selecting points outside the limits.  [But you can still draw outside them, for instance by specifying a center for a Circle inside the limits and a radius that takes it outside the limits.]

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 5 of 10
cadffm
in reply to: Anonymous

What is with the question about your model position and the WCS0,0,0 - Test?

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 6 of 10
Kent1Cooper

[Just a thought -- are you not in Plan view  in the current Coordinate System?  I find in a very quick experiment that viewing from some other direction can mean the drawn content does not fill the viewing area upon Zooming to the Extents.  But in my trial, the extent of drawn content as displayed is less than  the full viewing area, rather than more, so that may not be your issue.]

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 7 of 10
pwk
Advocate
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

Hi CADffm, tcookHHSYU, and Kent1Cooper,

Thank you for your responses.  I moved the content in my drawing closer to 0,0,0 and this didn't solve the problem.  Setting "limits" OFF didn't help either.  

Since I posted my message, I was able to get around this problem by copying all the content in my drawing to the clipboard and then pasting it into a new drawing.  After doing this, Zoom Extents works fine in the new drawing.

I have attached the problem drawing in case any of you have a chance to open it up and try to figure out what happened.  I would be curious to know, but this is no longer a high priority for me because copying and pasting into a new drawing seems to have done the trick.

I appreciate your help.

Best regards,
Paul

Message 8 of 10
vinodkl

Hi,

Were you working in paperspace (layout1) rather than in modelspace? Cause when I opened the drawing I could see it was in layout1 and I guess that's what is causing confusion with zoom extents not working as you intended.

In model space the zoom extents works fine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ವಿನೋದ್ ಕೆ ಎಲ್( System Design Engineer)

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others.

Please mark "Accept as Solution" if my reply resolves the issue or answers your question, to help others in the community.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 9 of 10
cadffm

Beginner or just tired? Then vinodkl posted the best answer.

You saved the file during being in floating modelspace, it means inside a viewport in yout layout.

That's never good, save your drawings in paperspace or model, not inside a paperspace viewport.

And the viewport is on layer DIM, that isn't a well choice, or?

"I am using AutoCAD 2018.."

Then you should save your file in dwg2018 Format and never in dwg2000!

If you need to share a file as dwg2000, use SAVEAS and crate a copy of your file (save to another folder or use a differently name).

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 10 of 10
yutianchen86

Usually in this situation I type RE (regen) them zoom extend again it will take me to extend view.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta