Did you mean: 

Windows 10 compatibility

56 REPLIES 56
SOLVED
Message 1 of 57
Anonymous
91033 Views, 56 Replies

Windows 10 compatibility

Will Autocad 2014 be compatible with windows 10?

56 REPLIES 56
Message 2 of 57
dgorsman
in reply to: Anonymous

Any software that is released several years prior to a new OS is unlikely to run smoothly.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 57
pendean

Try it and find out: then tell us about your experience.

Remember though, Win10 is currently in Beta, has known security holes, and I read on several websites that this OS will be on an annual subscription once released in Q3-QA4 of this year.
Message 4 of 57
skintsubby
in reply to: pendean

Dean.

Still, it can't be any worse than Windows 8 or 8.1....Smiley Frustrated (I mean for the OS.. not for AutoCAD working on it)

Microsoft must have been smoking something funny those weekends!!

Mark

Message 5 of 57
jggerth
in reply to: skintsubby

@skintsubby wrote:

Dean.

Still, it can't be any worse than Windows 8 or 8.1....Smiley Frustrated (I mean for the OS.. not for AutoCAD working on it)

Microsoft must have been smoking something funny those weekends!!

Mark

Optimist!!

Message 6 of 57
nestly2

I've read comments by a couple of people that have AutoCAD2015 running on Win10 without issue... the initial reports are the Win10 is much faster than Win8/8.1    I'm pretty sure AutoCAD2014 will never be "officially" supported on Win10, but I wouldn't be surprised if it works just fine.

Message 7 of 57
nrz13

What I had read is that Windows 10 will be a free upgrade from Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 for a year.  After that, they will charge for it.  I think this is where the confusion of it being subscription-based came in.  I think it's still going to be a stand-alone install like it has always been.

Work:  AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100, 3 Dell Monitors (3840x2160)
Home: AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-11700, 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro SSD, NVIDIA Quadro P2200, Dell Monitor (3840x2160)
Message 8 of 57
Anonymous
in reply to: nrz13

Thanks for all the input. I needed to upgrade my computer and Autocad in 2014. Love the Autocad, hate windows 8.1 and have been waiting for a replacement ever since. I agree from what I've read that for the first year, most of windows 8 owners (except for Enterprise) will be able to upgrade for free. After that ypu will need to pay for the upgrade but it will not be subscription based.

What I am hoping is that Autodesk will release updates to deal with compatibility issues that may crop up. I didn't want to upgrade my Autocad until windows came out with an OS that made sense to run on a PC. What has me concerned is the emails that I have received stating "beginning February 1st of 2015 license upgrades from previous releases not on subscription will no longer be available for purchase." I have not checked yet to find out exactly what that means. Does that mean from here on out to upgrade to a newer version you have to pay full price?

Message 9 of 57
jggerth

Thats' exactly what it means.  either pay to stay on subscription, or pay retail for a new seat + subscription.  and now it's Feb 3, so  the 02/01 deadline you mentioned is gone.

Prior experience suggests that there _may_ be discount trade-ins offered at some point in time to get a certain amount off full retail if you buy a new version AND go on subscription, but certainly no guarantees.

Message 10 of 57
nestly2

arseekford wrote:

Does that mean from here on out to upgrade to a newer version you have to pay full price?

Yup.... 

from the Upgrade FAQ

How can a customer get current if they have an older version of software after February 1, 2015?
Customers who wish to use the latest release after February 1, 2015 will have the option to purchase the latest version at SRP (Suggested Retail Price).

... or buy a montly/quarterly/yearly desktop subscription and pay as you go. --> Link

Message 11 of 57
pendean
in reply to: nrz13
Message 12 of 57
Anonymous

I just upgraded to Win 10 yesterday on my Toshiba P755 running Win 7 Home Prem 64.

AutoCAD 2016 was installed in April from DVD (subscription for many years)

Seems to run OK so far.

Message 13 of 57
Anonymous

Thanks,

I'm registered for the upgrade but it hasn't come through yet. Even
when it does, I think I'll finish my current drafting project before I
upgrade just to be sure. 🙂
Message 14 of 57
ampster40

"I think I'll finish my current drafting project before I upgrade just to be sure." <---- WTG! Someone using common sense before applying THE update. Sorry, not trying to make fun of your decision - it just seems nobody is really taking into consideration any of the known pitfalls when upgrading an O.S.
Message 15 of 57
pendean

Worked fine for me too: but since everyone else in this thread has issues, yours and mine working well is not the best reason for others to jump in, is it.
Message 16 of 57
pendean

You'd be silly to do it before Autodesk approves it.
Message 17 of 57
Anonymous
in reply to: ampster40

Before initiating the upgrade I checked Autodesk & found nothing explicit against Win 10.

My Work PC is a Dell M4800 running Win 7 Pro with ACAD 2016 installed.

The Tos P755 is my home computer, with ACAD 2016 installed (subscription home use) so I felt secure experimenting.

( being self-employed for many years I am seldom without a net)

BTW I found that the Help (online & offline) did not work with Win 10 Edge as default. IE 11 was still onboard so I made that default again. Then Help worked as usual.

But the new Edge seems like an improvement for general browsing. I have both for now, along with Chrome & Firefox. Don't care much for Cortana- Think I will fire her.

Message 18 of 57
ampster40

nothing really explicit from Autodesk other than it's not supported yet. Tons of posts about it not working and not many posts like yours (it seems) of it working as expected. I've already begun searching for ways to replace Cortana with Google Now. Not that it may ever happen but if they are already touting that you can setup an Android phone with Cortana - then we should be able to replace Cortana with Google Now on our pc's.
Message 19 of 57
pendean

2013-2016.PNG

Message 20 of 57
Anonymous

thanks, but Link to this Information sadly missing 😞

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report