Did you mean: 

Why I set drawing unit to "feet", but it still shows "inch"

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
15045 Views, 12 Replies

Why I set drawing unit to "feet", but it still shows "inch"

I set drawing unit to "feet", when I add dimensions, the unit is still "inch". 

For example, I draw a 5 feet line, the dimension will show 60"

How could I fix this problem? Thank You

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
mjordan2
in reply to: Anonymous

Drawing units only defines the size of autocad's base unit of measure; it does not change how the units are displayed in dimensions.  For that you'll want to edit the dimension styles.  This is a good guide that should get you going: Managing Units and Measurements.

Cheers,

M

Edit: made link clearer

Message 3 of 13
imadHabash

Hi,

i suggest to change your unit format from DDIM command.don't forget to set current your needed dimension style.

125.png

Regards,

Imad Habash

EESignature

Message 4 of 13
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

Did @imadHabash and @mjordan2 resolve your issue with the great suggestions? If so, please reward the post that worked with a Kudos and please also mark a post or posts as Accepted Solution(s) that resolved the issue.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: mjordan2

Do you mean if I have started drawing already, there is no way to change the base unit of the entire drawing environment. Is this right? Thanks

Message 6 of 13
dbroad

If you started with inches and drew a 5 ft line, you can change units and scale objects.  The command to do that is -dwgunits.  Note the dash in front.  Near the end, a prompt will ask you whether to scale existing objects.  It sounds like that is what you want.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: dbroad

I used Autocad several years ago. I am trying to get back into it but find it extremely frustrating.

This is the exact problem I am having. I want to draw a line in feet and inches and I have read through these answers and just cannot seem to make it work.

Can you walk me through it from the time I click on the LINE Command?

Message 8 of 13
dbroad

1. To be able to enter feet and inches, architectural units or engineering units must be active. (Architectural units allows fractions.
  2. To enter feet and inches, key in the number for feet followed by a single quote.
  3. To add inches to the feet, enter the number immediately following the single quote. Do not add spaces. Do not add a double quote. Do not enter a hyphen between feet and inches. IOW, dont' follow the dimensional format.
  4. To enter fractions of an inch, follow the whole number of inches with a hyphen and then the fraction or use decimal fractions.

Examples:

Line 0,0 5'6,0

Line 0,0 5'6-3/4,6'7-5/8

Line 4',3' @6'3,4'8.625

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: dbroad

I have tried this every way I know how and it is still not working.

I am using Autocad Lt, do you think that makes a difference?

Message 10 of 13
john.vellek

HI @Anonymous,

I see that you are visiting as a new member. Welcome to the Autodesk Community! 

AutoCAD LT does not behave any differently than AutoCAD in this respect. Please attach one of your files so I can see what you are facing.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

Thank you for the Welcome.

My file doesn't contain anything, because I can't even draw the first line. I have to admit, I am feeling very dumb. I am researching tutorials right now. I will come back in awhile, if I am able to do something. Thanks again

Laura O

Message 12 of 13
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

I made a quick video of what I see on my screen when I set my UNITS to architectural. Are you seeing your AutoCAD behave differently?

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Message 13 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

That's IT... that is what I could not find. I have changed from metric to standard in other places, but this is the only thing that is working.

I can't thank you enough. I have been working on this for hours!

THANK YOU THANK YOU! 

I'm sure I'll be back! 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta