Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does AutoCAD still exist?

128 REPLIES 128
Message 1 of 129
elw21597
19902 Views, 128 Replies

I am very tired of AutoCAD as a student. AutoCAD by far is the most time consuming, annoying, stress inducing software I have ever tried to learn. The commands are backwards, you have to click in certain patters like a robot, such as if you want to copy something you would have to enter a ridiculous amount of keys and clicks to finally do something, then God forbid if you are in a command and you mess up, then you have to go through 10 different processes again. It is not user friendly to say the least.

I own Inventor, 3DS Max, Maya, Mudbox, and Revit, I would rather stare at the Sun with the most high powered telescope you could get me, it really is that bad. I honestly don't know why we have to learn this program, it was obsolete 10 years ago, there are many different 3D programs out there that you can do the same thing in, It kills me that companies still use it. If I want to build a model in AuoCAD, I would probably have to do it 4 times over compared to Inventor, why? 

The only applications I could see this being useful in would be electrical schematics and house plans, but even then there are programs that do that more quickly and easily.

Other 3D programs of what AutoCAD does in less than half the time and no stress, I can't be the only one that feels this way... I don't understand why this software is just flung at students, why companies would still use it, and why it isn't easier to use, it's way too time consuming to learn when you know there is no reason to learn it...

128 REPLIES 128
Message 2 of 129
injineri
in reply to: elw21597

It still exists because in Autocad is most comfortable to do precise and organized drawings from which workers can make details or constructions, or assembles. 3D programs are crap in that. No one serious will make products from visualized models.

Message 3 of 129
tramber

@elw21597 wrote:

such as if you want to copy something you would have to enter a ridiculous amount of keys and clicks to finally do something, then God forbid if you are in a command and you mess up, then you have to go through 10 different processes again. It is not user friendly to say the least.

Click an object, enter in a grip and hit C

I guarantee it is fast.

My opinion is that you don't know much about what you are talking about Smiley Wink

Autocad is a 2D tool that can perform modeling.

Forget about your compares

Or try to make a good coloured of anything in 2D with one of your softs... before comparing 3D abilities.

About time consuming, I beleive that it depends on the teachers together with the goal(s). On on your own homework too. Make exercices to see how many ways exist to copy an object, more or less fast. And let's talk.

Message 4 of 129
elw21597
in reply to: tramber

One of the primary things that you have to do multiple times is making different views, why in the world would anyone want to make 4 views of one object when you can do it in a different software once. I have used the software for 7 months and still it is a pain to navigate, I go into just about any other software I use and everything is much more simple. In Inventor I could take a blueprint of a part, create it all in one go, it dimensions it for me and creates and other views I need to lay out immediately, in AutoCAD its the exact opposite, you have to manually and meticulously do this and that over and over.

In my other programs I don't have an instructor and in the same time have learned more and they aren't even related to CAD, Inventor, Max, even game engines have been easier for me to learn, every time I open AutoCAD it's like pulling out a stone tablet. I don't know why it is so difficult to learn. 

I'm just not seeing the practicality of it. What sucks is that I know a lot of companies want you to know how to use it, even if they don't use it.

Message 5 of 129
tramber

@elw21597 wrote:
 I don't know why it is so difficult to learn.

For sure you don't !

My use of acad is 2D but also 3D that can be mixed (top software in the world) and programmed (macro, scripts, lisp, etc) (again, 1st software in the world).

Don't want ANY of your loved software, ok ?

is you title, mine would only be :

Why does AutoCAD cost so much now?

Message 6 of 129
MikeKovacik4928

I have used autocad for over 20 years now.

I have trained it in 3 different countries, have my own personal copy,

and use it extensivley at work and and at home.

I will respectfully have to disagree with the gentleman who asks why Autocad still exists.

I use it all the time for my 2d draughting work.

The 3d package (Inventor) doesn't compare when it comes to 2d only.

It is very nice for 3d but pretty useless for 2d.

Therefore I do my 3d in Inventor and my 2d in autocad.

Autocad is very versatile with its lisp, tool palettes, scripts, macros,

and is very quick to use if you use it the right way.

I suggest, the young gentleman is not getting the proper traiining!

My title would not be "Why doesn Autocad still exist"

but "because Autocad is so popular and versatile, why not reduce the price"

Michael Kovacik
2d & 3d Autocad and Inventor designer/draughtsman
Draughting/Designing (Manufacturing) (31 yrs)
-Drawing Board (3 yrs)
--Cad (28 yrs)
---Cadkey (4 yrs)
---AutoCAD 2d & 3d (16 yrs)
---Inventor (4 yrs)
---Autocad and Inventor Simultaneously (4 years)
---(and recently Autocad/Inventor Customisation)
Autodesk Product Design Suite Ultimate 2018
Autocad 2018, Inventor Pro 2018
(personal licensed copy)
Johannesburg, South Africa
(Impossible only means you haven't
found the solution yet)

Message 7 of 129
steven-g

It all depends on where you start from, I have used Autocad for many years, and I attended an evening course for both Inventor and Revit, give me Autocad anyday WYSIWYG (WhatYouSeeIsWhatYouGet), why on earth would you want planes and sketches and extrusion that become yet more planes then a parameter manager then a family manager then a group then off to the vault, you need a dozen screens just to keep track of all the different dialogues and toolpalettes.

I want a line I type "l" and it's ready to go and I can place the end anywhere I want right now without having to think if I'm in the correct editor or can draw the other end just there without having to try and hunt down some little known icon on a wierd tab on the ribbon that changes it's contents every two seconds depending on what it feels like and what someone else thinks I am trying to do - yes I do want that point just there and I don't want to waste time telling the program why I should be allowed to do that.

Or you could just realise that it is a different approach to the workflow of producing the same thing, but indeed some tools are quicker at doing that than others.

Message 8 of 129
RobDraw

@elw21597wrote:

AutoCAD by far is the most time consuming, annoying, stress inducing software I have ever tried to learn. The commands are backwards, you have to click in certain patters like a robot, such as if you want to copy something you would have to enter a ridiculous amount of keys and clicks to finally do something, then God forbid if you are in a command and you mess up, then you have to go through 10 different processes again. It is not user friendly to say the least.

If it takes you that much effort, you're either doing it wrong or your expectations are too high. 

Instead of complaining about it, why don't you ask for help? That is what this forum is about and it is very good at it.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 9 of 129
TheCADnoob

sounds like a homework deadline might be approaching, Are you sure its not procrastinating that you are really upset with? #beentheredonethat Smiley Happy Joking aside, i get your sentiment. 

Compared to the ease and capability of 3D modelers AutoCAD does seem like an archaic throwback, but you cant compare AutoCAD to 3D modelers. Yes AutoCAD can do 3D models, but that's just a capability where 3D modelers were built with the intent of modeling. The reason Autodesk has both Inventor and AutoCAD is because the tools serve different purposes and needs. 

As far as learning it, after about two and a half or maybe three days of working in it you could probably be on par with most other users out there. There is a learning curve but once you get a few rudimentary elements down the rest kinda falls in place. That's not saying AutoCAD is the most efficient way to design for all projects though. 

One of the reasons we still have AutoCAD is that we have 30 years worth of drawings created in the platform. Some of those will need to be maintained and updated. If a company created a widget in the 80s that needs no further engineering to maintain profitability, they are not going to spend the time and money to update it to the fancy new 3D modeler just because. There are still tons of hand drawn drawings out there too and some of those are still actually updated by hand. If you wanna talk about obsolescence, hand drafting is extremely time consuming and expensive, but often its cheaper than shifting an entire engineered set of drawings to a new format. 

One reason you might be learning it as well is that your professor might have a sweet spot for the program. As in they are comfortable using it over others. I would agree that this is a really bad reason to learn it, but academia doesn't always operate on the best interests of the students. 

Another reason that this software is still relevant is that flat simple 2D diagrams are still really important in many applications. Im currently employed in the petrochemical industry. On a day to day basis the 4 most important drawings (P&ID, PFD, INSTRUMENT/Electrical, PLOT PLAN) are all simple 2D drawings. Just for the company im working for these drawings command millions of dollars worth of activity. When building the multi million dollar facilities which will make up significant portions of the US's GDP one of the first drawing produced is a block flow diagram (simple 2D), Next would be a Process Flow Diagram (simple 2D) and then a P&ID (simple 2D) at this stage in their design process it s an easy feet to have millions invested. This is just the petrochemical industry, i'm sure there are several other examples in other industries. 

I get the frustration of seemingly inefficient tasks in AutoCAD, but thats because you are playing with some of the most basic building blocks. I get that you can create a model quicker in inventor, but the real value (as i believe was alluded earlier in this thread) is the capability of the AutoCAD platform for customization. Ont of the things i do is create things that turn 100 clicks into 1. These routines are often very specific for my companies goals. Its unfortunate but generally school level applications of AutoCAD will not be able to show you this feature. That said if you get your hands on an AutoCAD vertical like Architecture and see how long it takes to create a house plan. It can be done in a very short interval and that system is built on AutoCAD. 

I get the frustration but that part of what schooling is. In calculus you have to learn the fundamental therom of calculus even though most people will only use  the power rule after that. You may never need AutoCAD, but it can be a fundamental to design and is still very powerful. 

CADnoob

EESignature

Message 10 of 129
gotphish001

I can agree from a school level type of project stand point Revit seems 1000x better and easier than autocad. In a school project for a building you are drawing probably 2-5% of what is actually needed (drawing wise) to actually build that building in real life. Once you get a job drawing EVERY part of something that needs built you will see that a whole new set of complications come to the surface trying to draw it with Revit. Problems and complications come with any software. That is also why there is different software because it's for different things. I can draw a building using Microsoft paint for free so why pay for autocad or other software. Because Paint isn't made for that, just like Revit isn't really made to draw 2D and autocad is so you can't really compare them.

Judging how good a software is by what it can do on a school level project compared to a real life project isn't a good a good comparison either. Example: Right now I have a very little project I'm working on. It's a municipality garage. It has 1 garage door, 2 regular doors and a single person bathroom. It's just a rectangle building with a few alternatives for bids. Pretty simple right? If this was an assignment in school it would be 2 sheets maybe, 3 if your professor was good and made you do extra parts. Because in real life so many more dots and T's need to be crossed off, I think my drawings are up to like 13 pages. Yes that is insane for what the building is, but that is the nature of the business. Sure I can draw 4 walls, a bathroom, throw in some fixtures and doors in Revit in 5 minutes and have a nice fancy model of that garage, but no one can actually build anything from that. There's much more too it and that's where you will see the same types of frustrations that you have with autocad in a program like Revit  when you get into the finer details. 

Plus if you want to see overly complicated you haven't seen anything yet until you try and use autocad architecture. haha You can do anything you can in Revit with it and somethings better, but a lot of things IMO could be simplified to be more user friendly. 

Autocad is every where because they had the best marketing ever back in the day. They gave the software to schools for free so that is what the schools taught. Companies used autocad because that's what the students new how to use.  It was genius and that is why autodesk has the biggest market share. IMO archicad is better than autocad or revit for buildings. You probably never even heard of archicad because they suck at advertising. I had professors that never heard of it when I was in school too.

Nick DiPietro
Cad Manager/Monkey

Message 11 of 129
elw21597
in reply to: gotphish001

Thanks for the replies. I know I seem very negative here, its mostly just frustration with why it is a standard program to learn. I guess for a multipurpose application it makes sense to use, most of my frustration is because of that. The fact that it is used for everything is just cluttering my mind with endless controls, depending on the project I will have a schematic one day, then a house the next, then a mechanical part all in one week, there is no way I can actually store all of this. For each project there is something new to learn, some command I have not even heard of, then I have to remember it and how to use it all before I got comfortable with the last ones. We have to learn AutoCAD first, then the following semesters we use other programs like Revit, Inventor, and others not from Autodesk. After going through a semester of just AutoCAD it was not fun, but okay, now after using the others I'm like "why are we still using AutoCAD!?!".

One of the things that is ridiculously tedious is drawing circles, and any other type of lines or geometry, in a lot of other programs I could add as many circles as I could possibly want without having to click the keyboard 5x more than AutoCAD. Just simple things like having to press the escape button on everything and click probably 3 extra commands or buttons, keys, that is driving me nuts and slows me down.

I know I got spoiled by using other programs, among the six other Autodesk programs that I use this is the most difficult, time intensive for me so far.

@gotphish001I see your point. For some cases so far I can see how AutoCAD shines, but in specifics like building a house, I am not seeing the real benefit, at least yet. 

"There's much more too it and that's where you will see the same types of frustrations that you have with autocad in a program like Revit  when you get into the finer details." This is where the "yet" comes in I guess haha. But building a WHOLE HOUSE in AutoCAD, why? I would imagine it would be at least easier to build the basics in Revit and then export what you need to AutoCAD, for that I can see the use. It is like when I asked my instructor why I can't just build the model in a different program, he said I have to do it in AutoCAD to learn it, I feel as if this is making it more difficult.

I was Googling around not long ago and bumped into ArchiCAD, but I didn't look into it much, I am not one to stick to Autodesk or any company even if it is free for students, I have a few other programs that AutoCAD competes with but bought them because I like them more and they're easier to use. I suppose when you have bosses and professors that have used AutoCAD for 20+ years it doesn't help anything... I have to learn Civil3D next and knowing that is pretty much AutoCAD isn't going to be much fun

Message 12 of 129
RobDraw

@elw21597wrote:

Thanks for the replies. I know I seem very negative here, its mostly just frustration with why it is a standard program to learn.

Really good question. It is definitely waning as an industry standard, but it's still considered a fine 2D drafting tool. When I took my AutoCAD course, I had to do plans on a drafting board and learn drafting 101 standards for the first month. I never had to do another hand drawing after that. The vertical products, AutoCAD Architecture, MEP, Electrical, etc. are where AutoCAD shines. Now, when you take into account that AutoCAD is extremely customizable at the user level, understanding the basics is even more important. Maybe it's a matter of the instructor wanting to give you solid fundamental understanding of what those platforms are based upon. Understanding the fundamentals, as mundane as they may seem, will help you tremendously in the future, even if you never do another 2D drawing.

BTW, Civil 3D is a totally different animal and is chock full of it's own stumbling blocks aside from the stuff your struggling with in AutoCAD.

Rob

Message 13 of 129
tramber

@elw21597wrote:

One of the things that is ridiculously tedious is drawing circles, and any other type of lines or geometry, in a lot of other programs I could add as many circles as I could possibly want without having to click the keyboard 5x more than AutoCAD. Just simple things like having to press the escape button on everything and click probably 3 extra commands or buttons, keys, that is driving me nuts and slows me down.

YOU drive us nuts. First dont "click the keyboard" !

Please, stop your comments about how slow you are, I think we all fairly got your point of view.

A circle needs the letter C (keyboard) and ENTER, then again ENTER (you really need a teacher).

PLUS : there is also a pre-command nammed MULTIPLE

If you press the ESCAPE button it is probably because you have no idea of what is behind an Autocad button.

Please, before you change the software, change the teacher or read a book (there must be a library nearby), don't follow casual users on youtube !

Even if I have no idea of god, I think I will pray for you if ever you give us an another exemple of your unknowledge....

Message 14 of 129
elw21597

Did not realize I was talking to an English professor.

"Please, stop your comments about how slow you are, I think we all fairly got your point of view." It's about how much of a pain in the butt this program is to learn, I have picked up 5 different programs in the same time and learned them ALL. I know there is a multiple command, I use it, but some things you can't.

"(there must be a library nearby)", really? Can I borrow your library card?

"Even if I have no idea of god, I think I will pray for you if ever you give us an another exemple of your unknowledge....", Unknowledge is not a word, but okay. Praying means you believe in God, saying you would pray means denying existence, just saying...

Thanks for the reply!

Message 15 of 129
tramber

Waouu

That is the best accepted solution I ever had.

I really thank you

A button :

^c^c_circle

often includes the ESCAPE (it is there as "^c^c")

But if you want, you can prefix with *, it will apply the MULTIPLE command

So.

If you draw a line and want to stop for a cicle, CLICK the circle button with NO ESCAPE in between !

If you finished a circle, press ENTER to make another one.

If you were doing something else, and are free to hit a command, press C (Circle abbrev.)

Pretty fast ways, aren't they ?

About copying :

CP (in my language, check if it launches COPY in your Royal tongue) is a good way. But it is also a all command to learn (Press F1)

True : if you want to copy on itself it takes 3 ENTER, you need a macro if you do it all day.

But you can also click object(s), choose a blue grip and make it red and press ENTER as much as you want (look what it does) + a Copy option, etc...

You can make buttons, commands, personnalize (through a palette or the CUI command) :

'CIRCLERAD;50

'CIRCLERAD;10

*^c^c_circle;\;

[1 : sets future radius to 50, 2 : to 10, 3 : macros the fastest circle command you've ever seen, needs Escape to end]

Now that you know what we do of the soft, you know why it exists. It is a universal drawing board that you can (have to) manage your own way.

Message 16 of 129
mdvitacco

Wait until you try learning  SolidWorks before bashing AutoCAD.    All CAD programs are quirky in their own way, all  require that you learn to input commands and parameters in specific formats,  different commands may require parameters in different sequence.   AutoCAD command functions and the user interface is extremely well documented.  I would  use help to key work search on those you find frustrating.    I tell my students to watch the command line,  read the prompts, in order to learn how the user interface works.   Having  patience will help.    Keep calm and carry on! 

Message 17 of 129
gercameron

Difficult to learn ? Surely you jest. I took a 12 hour online Udemy course and mastered the 2D version of 2018 ,then I took I think about 8 more hours and can handle the 3D modelling quite well. I am 64 years old. How old are you ? I'm sure probably late teens or early twenties, wanna swap brains ?

Message 18 of 129
RobDraw
in reply to: gercameron

@gercameronwrote:
  1. Difficult to learn ? Surely you jest. I took a 12 hour online Udemy course and mastered the 2D version of 2018 ,then I took I think about 8 more hours and can handle the 3D modelling quite well. I am 64 years old. How old are you ? I'm sure probably late teens or early twenties, wanna swap brains ?

If you had no experience with AutoCAD, you might have a firm grasp of the basics but I highly doubt you have mastered it. After nearly 20 years of using it to make a living, I would never call myself a master and if I had only an 12 hour course and claimed to have mastered it in an interview, I would be laughed out of the room. 

If you truly have mastered it, you are a genius and that course would be so fast paced that it would make most people's heads spin.

Rob

Message 19 of 129
gercameron
in reply to: RobDraw

Well master is relative but I find it quite easy to learn, possibly because I'm an IT professional but I have been designing 3D modelled house plans just for fun so, no I'm not a 20 year master but I used to tinker with it in the eighties but didn't really take learning it seriously until now. But my main point is to show that student that it takes nothing but interest and perseverance to learn Autocad, like anything else.

Message 20 of 129
elw21597
in reply to: gercameron

I suppose it is easier for some people.

For now I'm learning 10 different programs and soon 3 more, AutoCAD so far
has been the one that is a pain and for whatever reason difficult to learn.
I'm learning game design, which means 3D modeling, textures, even
photogrammetry, game engines, that's 7 programs there, and harder still
art. CAD using Inventor, AutoCAD, some Revit.

I guess it is mostly that I hate 2D, being that I like video games, making
things in 3D is just easier to learn...

When they find out a way to freeze brains you can have mine ha

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost