Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

when making xclip in model space some linework disappears

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
kay.bartz
1515 Views, 14 Replies

when making xclip in model space some linework disappears

our company is just starting to have this issue when making an x-clip.  it happens in Civil 3D AutoCad 2023 and regular AutoCad 2023.

we xref in a base as an overlay.  then we xclip it to the area we are working in and only want to show in paperspace.

when we x-clip to close to our known boundary of our area linework starts disapearing.  if we back out the xclip to a bigger size the  missing linework shows up again.  is this a graphics card issue, system variable or something else?

our xref that we bring into our individual drawings is not a 3D drawing. it is a 2D drawing.  not to say our Civil, Structural, and Mechanical all use 3D up to the point they need to add to our base drawing.  

any help or suggestions would be great.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
dmfrazier
in reply to: kay.bartz

Just a hunch... set GFXDX12 = 0. (It might be necessary to close and re-start AutoCAD for the change to take effect.)

Message 3 of 15
kay.bartz
in reply to: dmfrazier

thanks for the suggestion. i had tried that already. not saying it might work for some instances. but unfortunately not for mine.
Message 4 of 15
pendean

@kay.bartz
Q: if you are only wanting to show a limited area in paperpace, why are you also clipping the object in modelspace?
And are you sure your viewport in your paperspace layout doesn't have a layer override setting hiding this content that you are missing?

Not seeing anything like that in our offices in AutoCAD 2023.1.3 in our own files, we XCLIP all the time here when needed in modelspace, but use viewports to limit what an XREF shows in paperspace.

Can you share sample DWG files where this issue happens to you all on demand every time?

Message 5 of 15
dmfrazier

You've probably already checked for AutoCAD updates and graphics driver updates, too. Right?

"when we x-clip to close to our known boundary of our area linework starts disapearing."

Is it consistently the same lines and is there anything unique or different about the lines that disappear?

When the lines "disappear", can you still select them (e.g. with a crossing or fence)?

Is it possible this is a linetype scale issue?

Message 6 of 15
kay.bartz
in reply to: pendean

we are outsourced and work for other companies and abide by there standards.
when in model space and xclip, that is when you see linework and layers disappear. viewports have nothing to do with the issue.
i would have to say i cant share drawing files right now but i will check to see if we can do something to share to get this issue resolved. i will talk with my supervisor. thanks
Message 7 of 15
kay.bartz

yes my computer is all up to date. our company actually just handed out new laptops to people and we updated to 2023. the company we are engineering and drafting for some of there drawings come to us in bad shape. then it is our responsability to bring them to there current standards. one of there standards is all scales of any type are to be set to 1. yes if we do a crossing or fence then the missing linework does show up till you escape that command. it shows the same thru viewport and to plot the missing linework is still not showing in PDF. not sure if this info will help with a sollution or not. i will double check on the scale issue just to make sure all is set to 1. thanks K
Message 8 of 15
kay.bartz

here is two dwg files one is xrefd into the other.  try moving the xclip frame to the megenta phantom lines. some of the linework should disappear. it did for me just now.  i hope it shows what we deal with and maybe someone can come up with a solution.

thanks

K

Message 9 of 15
dmfrazier

This might be a Lineweight display issue. See this thread:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-forum/odd-behavior-of-the-lwdisplay/td-p/11920494

Message 10 of 15
kay.bartz

played around with files and doesn't seem to be an issue with lineweight.
this issue seemed to have started with 2023. so not sure what to do. maybe a fix will come in an update.
i am still open to any other suggestions.
thanks
K
Message 11 of 15
pendean

Thanks for the DWG files.

I dont use C3D, your files are full of that type of content, and both of your files reported errors when I used RECOVER on both of them in AutoCAD 2023.1.3 here (and I also got rid of your 2200+ reg apps in the top file).

I am also not sure if this distance from 0,0,0 has any bearing on your issues but I've seen lots of odd things take place because of it

pendean_0-1682546694811.png

I also turned off XREFOVERRIDE in your top file (not sure if you had it one, but I usually do not, but there it was, on).

Made a copy of your XREF, clipped one but not the other, I see no issues here

pendean_1-1682547015526.png

See attached. You have many things to fix an clean up.

HTH

Message 12 of 15
3wood

When you xclip a block, my suggestion is do not overlapping the clipping boundary with the block linework.

You can draw a new clipping boundary only intersects the existing linework at the segment endpoints as shown below.

3wood_0-1682568230320.png

Message 13 of 15
kay.bartz

i did recover on both drawings now and had 1 error fixed in each.
we try to do the -PU Regapps. thanks for notifying this. so i did that. same thing over 2200 removed.
the distance from 0,0 is a survey point for northing and easting and what coordinate system they use. so location is correct. so that cant change.
i will check on the xrefoveride variable, but i think we need that set?? i know visretain has to be set to 1.
i did mention in one of my posts that we as a company have many things to fix/cleanup in drawings.
but i have to say since 2023 autocad we never seen this issue before.
we have 7 drafters having issues and all are trying anything and everything we can think of or get suggested to try. thanks for the tips. i hope they keep coming. something out there hopefully will help
the xclip is not around an individual magenta rectangle so not sure if your copy would still work.
Message 14 of 15
kay.bartz
in reply to: 3wood

this one, myself, don't quite understand your suggestion. going to pass yours on to a different drafter. maybe they might understand this one.
we will see what happens.

thanks
K
Message 15 of 15
3wood

Sorry my illustration is not quite clear.

I mean if you would like clip to the yellow extend, try not using the red boundary which is overlapping with the yellow lines. Drawing a blue boundary which doesn't overlap with the yellow lines will resolve the problem.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report