Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what layouts are using a specific layer?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
378 Views, 6 Replies

what layouts are using a specific layer?

(Question for Autocad 2016)

Is possible to search what layouts are using a specific layer?

I have some layers that I don't know if I can delete, so I need to know if some viewport in some layout has the layer unfrozen and visible.

I have dozens of layouts with many viewports each one, so doing a manual search is non practical, and is easy to make a mistake by searching visible objects manually.

Tags (2)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
beyoungjr
in reply to: Anonymous

If you have frozen layers at all they will not be visible in Model Space.  Make sure that all layers are thawed.  The layouts that have viewports should be utilizing the freeze layer in vp option.  This doesn't actually freeze the layer but instead just makes it invisible to the specific viewport.

This should not prevent removal of layers by delete or purge.

I would suggest that if you are having trouble purging or deleting layers, you must have some data on the layer/s or referenced to the layer/s.  It would only take a stray line or arc in a block that was accidentally created on a layer that you now wish to remove.  Even if the block is inserted on another layer, any object in the block that was part of another layer when created will keep hold on that layer.

Also might consider what layer the viewports themselves are on.  If you have any viewport accidentally residing on the layer you wish to delete, you cannot do so.

I'd be happy to pick it apart a little if you would post the dwg.

Blaine Young
Senior Engineering Technician, US Army

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: beyoungjr

I have all layers visible and thawed in modelspace. Is only on viewports on other layouts were they are frozen.

I need to delete layers (full with objects), because I run out of RAM, and have obsolete layers, some of which are no more needed, unless they are used (displayed) on some layout.

I cannot post the dwg file because I'm not allowed to share files without authorization.

Message 4 of 7
beyoungjr

Try the LAYDEL or -LAYDEL commands.

The second one gives options but the first will work fine.  I thought it was on the Express Tools Ribbon but don't see it in 2017 ACAD.  Just type it.

When the prompts asks for object selection just choose N for name and you will get a dialog asking which layer to delete.

Better??

Blaine Young

Message 5 of 7
beyoungjr

Had trouble locating the icon but it's on the Layer panel drop-down arrow.  It has a red "X" so you should be able to find it easily.

Blaine Young

Message 6 of 7
ВeekeeCZ

Found this LISP, here is very quick mod. It goes thru all the layouts and if the selected layer is VPFrozen there, it will print the layer name.

See HERE how to use the LISP.

(vl-load-com)

(defun c:ListVPFreezeLayers ()

(setvar 'cmdecho 0)

(if (and (setq lay (car (entsel "\nSelect a layer to search: ")))
           (setq lay (cdr (assoc 8 (entget lay))))
           )
  (foreach e (layoutlist)
    (setvar "ctab" e)   
    (setq psEnt (tblobjname "block" "*PAPER_SPACE"))
    (setq ent (entnext psEnt))
    (setq ent (entnext ent))
    (setq lst (entget ent '("*")))
    (setq ename (cdr (assoc 0 lst)))
    (setq i 0)
    (while (/= ent nil)
      (setq lst (entget ent '("*")))
      (setq ename (cdr (assoc 0 lst)))
      (if (= ename "VIEWPORT")
        (progn
          (setq i (+ i 1))
          (print)
          (princ (strcat e ": Frozen layers of No. "))
          (princ i)
          (princ " viewport are: ")
          (setq lst (cdadr (assoc -3 lst)))
          (foreach memb lst
            (if (and (= 1003 (car memb))
                     (= (cdr memb) lay)
                     )
              (print (cdr memb))
              )
            )
          (print)
          )
        )
      (setq ent (entnext ent))
      )))
  (setvar "ctab" "Model")
  (setvar 'cmdecho 1)
  (print)
)

Message 7 of 7
RobDraw

I don't know your particular drawing environment or hardware, but if too many layers is causing you to run out of RAM, you either have a computer with a bare minimum of RAM or you have an extremely excessive amount of layers.

If you cannot purge layers because they are in use, you might want to look into the layer merge command to move objects on layers that you don't want any more to ones that will remain.

Also, using the classic layer manager, instead of the newer pallet version, will cut down your RAM usage.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta