Did you mean: 

VIEWPORTS - SELECTING

25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26
Anonymous
848 Views, 25 Replies

VIEWPORTS - SELECTING

Hi,

I have a 3D model referenced into a drawing, within that model I have a construction (non print) circle.

I am unable to select any part of that circle other than the centre.

OSNAPS are set correctly.

Any idea?

25 REPLIES 25
Message 1 of 26
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

I have a 3D model referenced into a drawing, within that model I have a construction (non print) circle.

I am unable to select any part of that circle other than the centre.

OSNAPS are set correctly.

Any idea?

Message 3 of 26
TheCADnoob

is it possible that the circle is part of a block?

CADnoob

EESignature

Message 4 of 26
TheCADnoob
Message 5 of 26
Anonymous
in reply to: TheCADnoob

Hi,

The circle is within the xref and isn't part of a block. I can select any part of the 3D solids contained within the xref but not the circle.

Message 6 of 26
Anonymous

Is the XREF scaled or rotated in any way??

Message 7 of 26
Anonymous

Hi,

No scaling or rotation to the XREF or clipping within the view.

Message 8 of 26
pendean

CTRL+R lets you jump between viewports (unless you redefined that combo-key): is that not an option?
Message 9 of 26
Slawomir_

Turn on Selection cycling. Open window using OS command. See pictures. Also make sure you have 3D osnap on.

1.png2.png

Message 10 of 26
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Correct.

My problem is this: I am unable to select, from paperspace, any part of a circle that is located in modelspace, but drawn within an XREF. Sorry for the old terminology.

Message 11 of 26
pendean

It's time you posted that DWG file then my friend.
Message 12 of 26
Anonymous

Hi,

Please find attached an E-transmit.

In short, why am I not able to select the 'nearest' to any location on the magenta circle, that has a diameter of 457

NOTE: A the centre, there is a sphere. I am not concerned with this.

Any assistance greatly appreciated chaps!

Message 13 of 26
Anonymous

The circle is not "normal" to the XY plane, its in the YZ plane.

Message 14 of 26
pendean

Like this?

Capture.JPG

Message 15 of 26
Anonymous

Hey Dean,

IF that is a snapshot taken from a layout (paperspace) and selecting the magenta construction layer - then YES!

Message 16 of 26
Kent1Cooper

@pendean wrote:

Like this?

That looks to me like it's snapping to the yellow part, not the magenta Circle, i.e. the intersection of the X part in the green NEArest symbol is the location it's "seeing," which isn't at the cursor location  I'm able to Osnap to NEArest on the Circle through the Viewport in the example drawing [i.e. getting into Model space through it], but likewise not from Paper space, though I can Osnap to other elements from there.  [AutoCAD 2016 here]  I don't have any bright ideas....

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 17 of 26
Anonymous

If the circle is not "normal" to the XY plane, you can't osnap to anything except the center in PaperSpace.  Been that way since R11, as far as I know.

Message 18 of 26
pendean

That's what I did, in paperspace, outside of the viewport, NEA osnap running in LINE command. here is a screenshot doing the same thing from inside the viewport

Capture.JPG

Message 19 of 26
Anonymous

Hey Randall!

Cheers for the input - I've just done some checks based on your comments and right you are - I'm not sure why I haven't experienced this problem previously...

Do you have any idea on a solution, other than rotating my complete model, which would cause a few problems with the subsequent drawings produced from it?

Regards,

Blair

Message 20 of 26
Anonymous

I know of no real work-around short of adding geometry.  You can osnap the the circle in modelspace and maybe build construction lines or something.  Oddly enough, you can osnap to cylinders and such 3D objects (I think that's what pendean is grabbing in his screen shots) so maybe replace the circle with a very thin cylinder.  If the thickness is less than your tolerances you'll be able to snap to it without losing "much" accuracy.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta