Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Viewport to a different dwg.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
jwalsh3LQ9Y
324 Views, 6 Replies

Viewport to a different dwg.

I am trying to create a dwg with all the standard views, by product line, that our engineering dept would need for custom customer drawings. To keep all the information in one central location I would like to be able to link viewports in other dwg files to the standards file. 

Right now the views are copied and pasted into new files every time, so if a change is needed, someone has to go through every file. With viewports linked to a central .dwg file, id like to be able to make the change once and have all the relevant DWG's pulling the view directly so it updates as well.

Is this possible? I'm not the most knowledgeable about AutoCAD, know enough to get by, but that's all.

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: jwalsh3LQ9Y

This is exactly one of the things that XREF's are good for.  XREF the standards drawing into customer drawings, use Viewports to "look at" whichever parts in the standards drawing are needed, and when widget A gets its round hole changed to a square hole in the standards, that will update automatically in all customer drawings containing an Xref of the standards [whether or not they include a Viewport that looks at widget A].

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 3 of 7
ChicagoLooper

Hello @jwalsh3LQ9Y 

• I am trying to create a dwg with all the standard views....
  • ....Right now the views are copied and pasted into new files....

Can you describe what you mean by VIEWS? Please explain, using a real life example, how VIEWS are used in your firm's sheet production. Explain the final outcome that you'd like to achieve if you worked for a perfect firm in a perfect world.

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 4 of 7
jwalsh3LQ9Y
in reply to: ChicagoLooper

Our engineers put assembly details on every drawing that hits the factory floor. Right now, someone is copying line drawing diagrams including part numbers and basic assembly views into every drawing they create. I find this extremely inefficient, and **** near impossible to change after drawings are created (hundreds of drawings leave the department a day.)

I would like to set up a "Standards" file for a specific product line, and have everyone link to it in a viewport so if/when an ECO or other changes take place, the viewports are automatically populated in all drawings without having to go and edit each one. 

Message 5 of 7
jwalsh3LQ9Y
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

Wonderful. I was able to add the standard to an XRef in a new file, but could you tell me how to "look at" the model space in that file, from the VP in the new dwg?

Message 6 of 7
pendean

@jwalsh3LQ9Y
>>>...Right now the views are copied and pasted into new files every time...<<<
Explain that process to us in more detail, please. If you are 100% unsure, ask someone at your office that can provide a more AutoCAD-friendly description. "VIEW" in AutoCAD is a very specific description and is not used the way you are using them here.

AND... Can you ask someone with more AutoCAD experience at your office if they are all familiar with and use XREFs at all in their drawings? No need to add something that will confuse everyone just trying to use your new all-in file.
Message 7 of 7
Kent1Cooper

@jwalsh3LQ9Y wrote:

Wonderful. I was able to add the standard to an XRef in a new file, but could you tell me how to "look at" the model space in that file, from the VP in the new dwg?

Set up Layouts with Viewports in them, and in each Viewport you can look into model space and Zoom in on a particular portion of the Xref there.  The Layouts can also contain each page's border-&-title-block type information, with drawing titles, part and/or page numbers, or whatever.  Read about Layouts and Viewports in Help.

Kent Cooper, AIA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report