Did you mean: 

Unable to delete/move/select viewport

40 REPLIES 40
SOLVED
Message 1 of 41
Anonymous
150431 Views, 40 Replies

Unable to delete/move/select viewport

Something that's been driving me around the bend lately. I have a drawing, with a viewport which I cannot select. I have unfrozen all layers, ticked the 'Selection Cycling' box, but no lines show. It's just there, a viewport, but with no viewport polyline. No way of deleting, or clipping, or doing anything with it.

Any advice?

Thanks

40 REPLIES 40
Message 21 of 41
ziying_zhang
in reply to: Anonymous

Had the same issue. For me, it was because my 0 layer was off. Make sure your 0 layer is on.

Message 22 of 41
pcutkomp

Sarditi thank you so much; your solution  worked for me too!

I tried all the others in this thread before yours; as well as a lot of other videos and links online with no joy.

I inherited a half completed project which had extensive work and notations already done in paperspace. Some of the viewports worked but others could not even be selected to determine which layer they were on. I really did not want to have to recreate all the layouts due to the large amount of paperspace data already there.

Luckily for me your instructions to freeze all; then un-thaw all layers worked like a charm; much appreciated!!!

Message 23 of 41
Anonymous

Ths that worked for me while nothing else did. 

Message 24 of 41
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

I found one more solution based on yours. Use QSELECT command and select Viewports from the Object Type dropdown list, select "On" from the Properties options and click OK. After this your unselectable viewports should be selected. Now right click and select properties. All you need to do now is change the Layer from the General Tab to other visible layer and voilá! you can now edit freely. Greetings.

Message 25 of 41
bobchandler2
in reply to: Jay_B

AUDIT WORKED.  I DON'T KNOW WHY, BUT IT DID IT.

THANKS

Message 26 of 41
qureshikhizar
in reply to: john.vellek

I have tried the above and its not visible. Even Q select does not select the viewport. The only interaction I can do is by double clicking in the area takes me inside the view port. 😞

Message 27 of 41
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: qureshikhizar

@qureshikhizar wrote:

I have tried the above and its not visible. Even Q select does not select the viewport. The only interaction I can do is by double clicking in the area takes me inside the view port. 😞

If the problem is visibility of a Viewport outline, either the Layer it is on must be turned off or frozen, or maybe its color is the same as the background.  [But if it's the latter Qselect should find it.]  If the problem is not being able to select it, that sounds like the situation described in Message 16.

If you are Replying to Message 20, I would strongly urge a difference from what's suggested there.  Don't rename the DEFPOINTS Layer!  See again Message 16.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 28 of 41
Anonymous
in reply to: Valentin-WSP

Thanks you, this solved my problem.

Message 29 of 41
lunaberg610

Thank you this totally worked!

Message 30 of 41
jeffK9B4B
in reply to: Bob_Zurunkle

mate, that worked a treat, I have been stuck for an hour trying to work out where I screwed up, and your idea was spot on, so thanks 🙂

Message 31 of 41
Anonymous
in reply to: Valentin-WSP

I had the same problem and this solution worked as a workaround. I had 5 similar viewports in one layout page (paper space). Changing some settings in the page layout settings made 3/5 viewports impossible to select/enlarge/move. All viewports had identical settings/layer/dimensions, so I assume it's some kind of bug. It was although possible to enter the unselectable viewports and so I maximized one of them like your solution states, than undoing the maximization and the entering of the viewport with CTRL-Z, made them selectable (All 3 unselectable vieports at once).

Thanks!

Message 32 of 41
Anonymous

thanks guys.. very helpfull..🙂

Message 33 of 41
Anonymous
in reply to: ziying_zhang

thanks.. solved

Message 34 of 41
Anonymous

Hi , Providing a simple solution kindly submit your feedback if it is usefull.

Stay on paper space where the vports are unable to select Type command 'layer' enter

select all layer (select one layer & Ctl A) then unfeez all, unlock all, un vp freez all & on all layer .

All done. Now select and edit your vport .

Message 35 of 41
vanUP9D9

very smart solution. Thanks

Message 36 of 41
Anonymous

My experience: I had this problem and came to this thread. Found defpoints was OFF and FROZEN. Turned on an unfroze and now I could see and select. So, that worked. Thank you! I did not have to change defpoints in any other way or do anything else (rename, etc.).

As a side note, whoever saved the file I was working on not only turned OFF and FROZE defpoints (which I could see maybe doing in a final copy) but before doing that, they still left the viewport itself UNLOCKED (which defeated any and all possible purpose in turning it off and freezing it). So I could EDIT INSIDE the viewport in modelspace, but couldn't change the viewport itself, in particular I wanted to LOCK it so I couldn't continue to do that. Not a good situation there... 

Message 37 of 41
JavierFSXL7J
in reply to: Bob_Zurunkle

WOW.... thank you lol !

Message 38 of 41
michaelawad00

If none of the other solutions worked for you, I found this out on my own:

First, re-launch AutoCAD. Then open your file, select "Layer Properties" and search the layer that it's in. Example: mine was in Defpoints layer but it would not show up in the layer list, so when I searched all layers in layer props, I was able to find it. 

If everything on that layer is on: freeze it using the little sun icon and unfreeze it. You should now be able to select it.

Like this reply to bring attention to it for others that are stuck. G'day

Message 39 of 41

had same problem. apparentlyview ports was on random  turned off layer. Use QSELECT command to find the viewports, then see what layer its on

Message 40 of 41
w0047403

Hi all,

This is obviously a post that originally started several years ago but I'll be happy to add what I found out without looking through all the suggestions.

Enter "VPLAYER" and then select "Reset".

You are then prompted to "Enter layer name(s) to reset or<specify layers by object selection>".

I entered "Defpoints" which is the layer where I save my view ports.

You are then prompted to "Specify viewport(s)" and presented with the selections of "All", "Select", "Current" or "eXcept current".

I selected "All" and the problem was solved.

All viewports selectable once again.

Hope this helps someone.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report