Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trimming intersecting lines locks program.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
1149 Views, 5 Replies

Trimming intersecting lines locks program.

Hey all,

First time posting here. Hopefully it helps. I have a path (line) that has to intersecting lines. I want to trim the area inbetween so it looks like my landscape paths are one path. 

When I select the lines the computer is running smooth. As soon as I type 'trim' and hit enter the computer completely bogs down. Does autodesk not have an intelligent way to process executions without the program crashing/locking up everytime one attempts seemingly simple tasks?

Any help is appreciated!

Cameron

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
nestly2
in reply to: Anonymous

Welcome to the Autodesk forums

If the "paths" are polylines and EDGEMODE = 1, there could be an excess of possible Trim possibilities.   It would be easier to troubleshoot if you could attach a sample drawing containing just the 4 path lines highlighted in your screenshot, otherwise I'd try the following:

1) Select the specific objects to use as cutting edges during TRIM/EXTEND rather than pressing <enter> twice (which selects "everything" as a potential cutting edge).

2) Verify that EDGEMODE = 0

3) Try with COMMANDPREVIEW = 0

Message 3 of 6
braudpat

Hello

Welcome to the Autodesk/AutoCAD Forums !

1) Maybe you try to trim 2D or 3D objects (concrete-lines...) with 3D Objects (contour lines) !?

TRIM is not really a 3D command !

Is the command TRIM running well on PURE 2D objects on your PC ?

2) An other quick idea : have you installed the SP2 on your ACAD 2015 ? 

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/downloads/caas/downloads/content/autodesk-autocad-2015...

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: braudpat

Braudpat - your thinking is feeling more correct at this point. Primarily b/c I exported a GIS file as a dwg. There are 3d (geo referenced lines in the drawing (i.e. the road lines). I drew the paths, however as 2d objects on the ground plane. Could they somehow be associated with these 3d lines? I ran into this problem when I tried to trim the paths at the road line as well. Complete lock up. 

I also noticed that the polylines (or splines) are made up of a gigantic amount of line segments instead of one solid line. 

*Maybe this is a problem to - howevrer I hope not - I took the dwg into RHINO and worked it for a while. I drew the path lines in RHINO. I then decided to work on the drawing in AutoDesk like the rest of my class so I could learn AutoCad better. So, I exported the rhino model as a .dwg. That is the current dwg that I am working on.

Thanks for any further tips! How would I remedy or work around this issue? Do I have to start completely over? I do want to have a drawing that has georeferenced info b/c I plan on 3d printing the model or laser cutting the topos at some point. My design is based on a topographic excercise.

Cameron

Message 5 of 6
braudpat

Hello

The best way is to share with us the part of your DWG (in .ZIP format, attached in your next message) what we see in your screen capture : a few contours lines, a few concrete lines, etc

with a WBLOCK command to select only theses entities ...

Do you want to trim the contour lines "from" the concrete lines ?

Or trim something else ??

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: braudpat

How do I zip my file to share?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta