Title Block: XREF

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
4134 Views, 8 Replies

Title Block: XREF

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows what I am doing wrong. I have a title block drawing in model space. I need to implement it to paper-space. I tried using the XREF command. Issue is, when it attaches/overlays the paper-space it becomes really big. Has anyone had this issue?

JD

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
imadHabash
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

I suggest to check your INSUNITS system variable.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: imadHabash

Im using an A1 layout. Is there a particular variable this should be??

Message 4 of 9
StephenThomasGrace

Select your XREF'd Titlesheet Block and check the Properties palette.

In the Miscellaneous Group you will see which scaling factor is being applied.

To avoid insertion scaling, simply make sure you have set the UNITS in the TitleSheet block drawing and in the drawing you are Xreferencing into.

(That sets the INSUNITS)

If they are set the same for both drawings, the INSUNITSDEFSOURCE and INSUNITSDEFTARGET, which are set in the options on the 'User preferences' tab, are ignored and the xref should come in correctly.

Message 5 of 9
imadHabash

>>  Is there a particular variable this should be?? <<

the units in your new drawing and xref file must be the same.so that will ensure that you have the same size. check both UNITS and INSUNITS to be the same in both files.

Message 6 of 9
RobDraw

Is the current page set-up using a smaller paper size?

Post a file, so we can stop the guessing.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 7 of 9
Jonathan3891
in reply to: RobDraw

As mentioned before, your units probably don't match.

I'm also curious to why you are adding the titleblock as an XREF instead of inserting it as a block with attributes and why your putting it in model space instead of paper space. But that has nothing to do with your original post.

Jonathan Norton
Blog | Linkedin
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Jonathan3891

Apologies for the confusion, it is saved in model space. I wanted to use the XREF function to place it in the paperspace of a layout. It appears too big was the problem.

Insunits has worked and matching the source and destination has allowed me to configure correctly.

Message 9 of 9
rene.garcia9KHY6

I'm kinda tired of seeing this thread come up on Google Search and it's not really the solution for this problem if you're in Civil. Sure works fine if you're an Architect or Mecanical and you have all your drawings set to inches, already. But Civil.... Civil is always set to feet (because some 3rd party didn't understand how Autocad worked and now we're stuck with using feet for model space). As for the Titleblock, Thanks to Printers it must always be in inches and there lays the conflict of this whole Autoscaling thing that Autodesk introduced way back when....

So... the Solution for Civil is not to match the drawing insertion inside each DDUNITS... it's to change the Titleblock DDUNITS to unitless. Or set Insunits to 0 for the Titleblock dwg. (which means whenever Architect take lead... we have to change their titleblock to unitless or we get all sorts of problems with Titleblock scaling.

And I don't even want to get into the whole Survey Feet thing that autocad added in 2017 that completely broke  older drawings by throwing off insertion points off of about 3 feet... (when we went back to them like 10 years later.)  Nice job implimenting that change Autodesk..., while not telling anyone who uses Civil3D about it or even implimenting some sort of warning system for it. (Civil Firms learned the hardway.... to just ignore Survey Feet and keep everything as Feet. Making us all scratch our heads of why survey feet was even shoehorned in.... no one asked for it.)

Honestly... if Autodesk is so eager to change stuff... the need to fix Mleader already. Still doesn't have a global restore button that DDIM has since the beginning. If you change a setting in properties for and Mleader... that leader is forever seperated from the Global settings with no way to ever reset it.... Been like 15 years since Mleader was introduced and there is still no fix for reseting leaders back to the style settings.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report