Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linetypes don't match from drawing to drawing

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
stanovb
486 Views, 6 Replies

Linetypes don't match from drawing to drawing

I have a custom linetype that looks correct in one drawing, but when I copy and paste it into another drawing it doesn't look correct. LTscale is set to 1, MSLTscale is set to 0, & PSLTscale is set to 1 in both drawings. The drawing called PA SET is the correct one. They are both in paperspace & the linetype scale of the entity is  set to 1 in both drawings..

The first drawing looks like this:

stanovb_0-1701956594361.png

The second drawing looks like this:

stanovb_1-1701956643894.png

Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: stanovb

Without even opening the drawings [this same problem comes up now and then], I would bet that in one drawing, the STYLE of Text called for in the linetype definition is one that has a fixed [non-zero] height, but in the other it has zero height.  Change the Style in the definition to one that will always have zero height, or change the defined height of that Style to zero.

EDIT:  I have now opened the drawings.  Without seeing your linetype definition, I don't know* which Style is used for its text inclusions, but the STANDARD Style has zero height in the "right" drawing, but a fixed non-zero height in the "wrong" one.

* I assume STANDARD is the one, because when I change that Style's height to 0 in the "wrong" drawing, the text parts look as expected.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 3 of 7
stanovb
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

That was it. The standard text height is set to something other than 0. I was trying to find out where that linetype is defined so i could figure out what text style it is set to, but it is standard. its not in my local acad.lin file.

Message 4 of 7
Kent1Cooper

@stanovb wrote:

.... I was trying to find out where that linetype is defined so i could figure out what text style it is set to, but it is standard. its not in my local acad.lin file.

Put this in at the command line:
(findfile "acad.lin")

or perhaps

(findfile "acadiso.lin")

and it will tell you where it is.  Look in that same folder for additional .lin files, and open those in a plain-text editor such as Notepad to see whether they have the definition of the P2F linetype.  But that may be unenlightening, since it seems obvious that it's going to have STANDARD for the Style.

If you got the drawing from some other source and don't have a linetype file that contains its definition, there are routines out there to extract linetype definitions into a file you can look at.

It's for reasons like this that I would never assign a non-zero height to the STANDARD Text Style.  But it may also be advisable not to assign STANDARD Style to text inclusions in linetype definitions, but have a Style defined for the purpose that will not be affected if the definition of STANDARD Text Style gets modified.  I notice one of the drawings contains a Text Style called "Linetypes" which may be meant for just that purpose.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 5 of 7
stanovb
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

ok thanks. yeah, I'm not sure where that linetype came from. I was going to do a search on my network & see if it came up with something

Message 6 of 7
jayhar

Similar issue i faced, Check Units are you working Metric drawings or imperial drawings? Which .dwt file are using acadiso or acad?

LTscale, MSLTscale or PSLTscale No need to change.

You Just Copy your file and Past your Previous work cad file, All Scale will be fine.

in this case different templete are used, that is the reason.

Please Subscribe YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCclj8v9vHQiFa8_DriuAk3w

Please Mark the Post or Posts as Solution(s) to help others find the answer quickly.
Message 7 of 7
stanovb
in reply to: jayhar

I'm bringing this up again. lol. it appears that the linetype I had was defined within my file instead of the linetype file that I load. I found a routine that writes the definition to a text file & mimicked that.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report