Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The current layer will be turned off. What do you want to do?

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
vandenoosterkamp
5245 Views, 23 Replies

The current layer will be turned off. What do you want to do?

Well, guess what I want to turn the current layer off otherwise I wouldn't go there. Acad seems to know better unfortunately and now I wonder if it's possible to turn the current layer off without a popup asking me if I know what I'm doing. Once the expert system variable could stop acad from asking me things again but back then it also replaced blocks and files iirc so never used it. Anyone knows how to turn the current layer off without getting extra questions? I use classiclayer only
23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
pendean
in reply to: vandenoosterkamp

While you wait... May I ask why you wish to turn off the current active layer so often that this is an issue? I'm just curious if there are alternate options and workflows to use.
Message 3 of 24

"Expert" only affects the command line version (-Layer) according to the documentation.

Set it to 1 and build a button to turn off the current layer (if this fits your needs).

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 4 of 24
vandenoosterkamp
in reply to: pendean

I often isolate groups of layers in order to edit the items on those layers and it's the fastest way to do this. Building a button is not an option cos it's classiclayer screen only where I have this issue
Message 5 of 24

.....not an option cos it's classiclayer screen only where I have this issue
Classiclayer vs the layer palette has no bearing on the issue. Your options are to use the command line version of -layer, or look for/write a 3rd party app to intercept and answer the dialog for you,
Message 6 of 24
pendean

LAYERSTATE is the perfect tool for that, if like me, you isolate a regularly idfentical set of layers all the time in all your files. Set up once and import into all files all the time.

If you just wish to limit yourself to a pop-up, double-click 0 (zero) to make it current before you do what it is you wish to do since turning off an active layer can present you with more problems than you've yet noticed.
Yes, you never EVER draw anything on layer zero, so it can always be you active current layer to perform tasks like yours and mine.
Message 7 of 24

@vandenoosterkamp wrote:
I often isolate groups of layers in order to edit the items on those layers and it's the fastest way to do this. ...

That sounds like what LAYISO is built for.  Or, you can try my improved version of that functionality, here.  If the current Layer is to be turned off, both set some Layer that isn't being turned off current, rather than turning off the current Layer, but set it back when you Unisolate Layers afterwards.  Neither asks for confirmation that you want to do that.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Tags (2)
Message 8 of 24
vandenoosterkamp

If you just wish to limit yourself to a pop-up, double-click 0 (zero) to make it current before you do what it is you wish to do making layer 0 current first will result in the cursor being at layer 0 so I first have to go to the layers I would like to turn off and after that to the ones I'd like to turn on. I have to travel twice instead of only once. I will learn to live with it. Thanks for the suggestions. Acad would be more user friendly in case they let me decide whether I want such a popup or not. Turn it on by default and everybody is happy...
Message 9 of 24

first sentence was meant to quote but can't find anything anywhere in order to get decent layout when posting here :s
Message 10 of 24

quoteforum.png

Message 11 of 24

@vandenoosterkamp wrote:
making layer 0 current first will result in the cursor being at layer 0 so I first have to go to the layers I would like to turn off and after that to the ones I'd like to turn on. I have to travel twice instead of only once. I will learn to live with it. Thanks for the suggestions. Acad would be more user friendly in case they let me decide whether I want such a popup or not. Turn it on by default and everybody is happy...

Either LAYISO or my LIO command in the link merely ask you to select something on each Layer you want left on, and when you're done selecting, turn all other Layers off, if necessary setting one that's still on current so it can turn off what was current when you called up the command.  There's no dialog box, it's by on-screen selection, and it all happens in one step --  the one bit of "travel" you would have to do is to a menu item such as a toolbar button or ribbon icon or pull-down or screen-menu item to invoke the command, but you can also invoke it by typing the command name [one reason my command name is so much shorter than LAYISO].  And it doesn't involve the EXPERT System Variable, which does let you decide whether or not you want the popup [it's AutoCAD's means of being user friendly in that way].  Presumably one could make a routine that would set EXPERT to avoid that popup, call up whatever you use to turn off Layers, and then reset EXPERT so it doesn't affect those other things you mentioned.  But I think LAYISO or LIO would do what you want without that.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 12 of 24
pendean

You seem resistant to learning how to use AutoCAD fully 😞
Message 13 of 24
Anonymous

Well some time, i want just select all and turn off. but this pop up is always ask first because the layer is in use. also same when freeze/thawn the layer, why does it just skip the process coz the layer in use cant be freeze/thawn.

Message 14 of 24
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

,,,i want just select all and turn off. but this pop up is always ask first because the layer is in use. also same when freeze/thawn the layer, why does it just skip the process coz the layer in use cant be freeze/thawn.

You may be able to use my versions of Layer Isolation, both of which will automatically change the current Layer to one that is to be left on/thawed, if the Layers you choose to isolate do not include the current Layer.  No more pop-up.  One that does it by Freezing is here, and it has a link in the description to the one that does it by turning Off.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 15 of 24
Anonymous

You are being warned its a bad idea to turn off the current layer, because its a bad idea, stuff gets placed on off layers unbeknownst to the operator.  AutoCAD is generous like that it'll warn you when you're trying something that's a bad idea, but its magnanimous enough to let you do it anyway.

That said, several here have posted alternative solutions, but you don't seem to like those either so try this one.

(defun c:lff () (command-s "layer" "t" "0" "on" "0" "s" "0" "") (c:layiso))

change the LFF to whatever floats yer boat.

(yes I know there are much more elegant way to do this, and this is "antiquated", but I'm old and this works)

Message 16 of 24
RobDraw

@Anonymous wrote:

Well some time, i want just select all and turn off. but this pop up is always ask first because the layer is in use. also same when freeze/thawn the layer, why does it just skip the process coz the layer in use cant be freeze/thawn.

If AutoCAD does not allow the current layer to be frozen. You know that, then why try to freeze it?

Patient to doctor: My shoulder hurts when I do this.

Doctor to patient: Don't do that!

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 17 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: RobDraw

That why i am searching the solution. I dont want any pop up to reveal.

"Let say i want to hide all layer, so on layer tab, i select all and click the lamp. autocad should just hide it all. Instead doing that, autocad ask current layer in use are you sure want to hide? of coz i want to hide, already select, but this pop up cant be avoid."

Doctor to patient: Are you certain?

"Second case is on frozen, i want to freeze all layer, and autocad does not want to freeze it due that layer in use, why dont just skip the asking process. just let it be unfreeze without asking."

Doctor to patient: OK, i understand. Take this medicine and go back home okay.

I would like autocad treat these popup as it can be turn on and off.

Message 18 of 24
Kent1Cooper

You can easily do these things with macros in Toolbar or other menu buttons, or short AutoLisp routines.  Macros:

'_.layer _off * _yes ;

'_.layer _freeze * ;

The first one answers the question for you about whether to turn off the current Layer.  [Why one would ever want to turn everything off is beyond me, but if you have a reason....]  The second one doesn't, because there is no such question -- a message will go by informing that it can't Freeze the current Layer.

AutoLisp equivalents:

(defun C:ALOF () (command "'_.layer" "_off" "*" "_yes" "") (princ)); = All Layers OFf

(defun C:ALF () (command "'_.layer" "_freeze" "*" "") (princ)); = All Layers [except current] Frozen

They can even be used transparently if you need that [yes, you can turn all Layers including the current one off in the middle of drawing something, and keep drawing it invisibly].

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 19 of 24
RobDraw

If you do something wrong, AutoCAD gives you a warning. AutoCAD cannot read your mind and know how to react when you try to do something wrong, so it gives you a message. You should say, "Thank you" every time a message pops up, because you don't want to do something wrong.

You cannot freeze the current layer, period, end of sentence. It simply is not an option. So, forget about getting rid of that pop up. You are telling AutoCAD to do something that is not allowed. If it didn't freeze the layer without letting you know, you would be complaining about why AutoCAD not letting you know that it won't do what you are telling it to do.

"I told AutoCAD to freeze layer ABBY and it printed on all my sheets. Why didn't AutoCAD tell me it wasn't freezing that layer when I told it to."

I cannot understand why this is so important to you or why you would want to turn off the current layer. It is the only warning that you get when the current layer is off. If a user forgets that the current layer is off and tries drawing anything, it will not be visible and AutoCAD will not give any warning about the current layer being off, allowing objects to be placed on that layer.

What is so hard about changing your current layer to one that you don't want to turn off? There are several ways to do this. Or even better, just don't turn off the current layer.

This is such a minor annoyance that can prevent major issues, if it weren't present. If it weren't there, you would be complaining about not getting a warning when placing objects while the current layer is off.

"I'm trying to draw a line. I've done it as many ways as I know how and it still doesn't show. I then discovered that the current layer was off. I turned it on and now I've got all these lines that I don't want."

Be careful what you ask for!

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 20 of 24
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: RobDraw

@RobDraw wrote:

You cannot freeze the current layer.... So, forget about getting rid of that pop up. ....

... that is, in the Layer Manager.  The macro/Lisp approaches in my previous Reply will not result in a pop-up requiring you to pick OK, but only a fully ignorable notification at the Command line.

Kent Cooper, AIA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta