Did you mean: 

Text dimensions

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
zakariadze1
779 Views, 3 Replies

Text dimensions

Hello, I need to get text dimensions (Height, space between letters, letter width) and I want to know if there is any tool to annotate them or at least snap on letter edges. Something like that. ntg5f.png

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
imadHabash
in reply to: zakariadze1

Hi,

for usual text elements you won't be able to get what you ask . you have to draw all those letters as a lines,arcs and polylines and start use proper osnap modes to put dimensions as you wish.

Regards,

Imad Habash

EESignature

Message 3 of 4
Ranjit_Singh1

Maybe use express tool txtexpText_to_poly.gif

Message 4 of 4
beyoungjr

To snap to points within the visible geometry of text characters you will have to use the Express Tool for text explode as suggested.

Text explode sometimes yields very poor results on true-type fonts (.ttf).  The geometry based fonts (.shx) have always exploded quite well for me.

In order to use geometric positions of TTF's it would be more advisable to research the actual font design, place your text object at 1 unit height and work with the font design information to ascertain relevant points necessary.  Of course you could then scale the text line as necessary after gaining the info you need.

If your work involves CNC tool paths and/or engraving then you might consider looking at some apps for AutoCAD (https://apps.autodesk.com/en) which provide more functionality for fonts related to that work.

Hope that helps,

Blaine

Blaine Young
Senior Engineering Technician, US Army

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta