Space saving

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
341 Views, 1 Reply

Space saving

Hello,

I'm currently designing parts in autocad to send to a lasercutter. I there a way to organise autocad objects or groups, the most space efficient way inside a given rectangle? other than doing it by hand? 

Or does somebody know a software to do it with a DXF document?

Thanks  🙂

With a picture, if it wasn't clear

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
beyoungjr
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

AutoCAD does not have a native command set for automatically arranging objects for waterjet or laser cutting patterns.  Most of these machine come with software for doing this and the softwares should dxf files and sometimes dwg as well.  The softwares will likely only accept previous dxf or dwg file builds such as 2013 or earlier saves.

As for our waterjet and laser cutters, I make a habit of saving my dwg or dwf files as 2004 versions using the save-as dialog.  I then open the drawings in the machine software and use the auto-arrange functions within.  The settings for edge space are pre-programmed in the machine software so alignments are optimized per machine requirement.

I took a quick peek at the Autodesk App Store for AutoCAD but couldn't quickly locate any add-ons for this but I probably was not searching with the right terms.  I would almost be certain that someone has developed an add-on ACAD app for this.  Contact the machine manufacturer and ask if they are aware.

Much Luck,

Blaine

Blaine Young
Senior Engineering Technician, US Army

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta