Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solving graphics card quirks (spiderwebs, add in crashing)

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
227 Views, 3 Replies

Solving graphics card quirks (spiderwebs, add in crashing)

Hello everyone,  I'm a help desk professional, so I apologize if I don't have in depth working knowledge of experienced autocad users. 

We have a small team of designers where I work.  I've gotten tickets like the following .

"Erroneous linework that looked like a spiderweb covered the entire drawing. Same issue when opening other drawings. It also appeared what trying to plot. AutoCAD forums suggest that it is a graphics card issue. Lines went away after restarting computer twice."

The problem is, this guy has what we though was a beefy system

Lenovo Thinkpad P50

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1505M v5 @ 2.80GHz

16 GB RAM

NVIDIA Quadro M2000M 4Gb

Separately,  an add-in we use called CAP by 2020 software will crash or have trouble displaying correctly with larger files.   Which does point to a system/graphics card issue.  Am I wrong in suspecting his system should be able to handle this without issue?    The page that used to have recommended specs and drivers is missing,  (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/syscert?id=18844534&siteID=123112 )   So, I'm at a bit of a dead end researching this.

Are there options besides replacing the graphics card?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
rkmcswain
in reply to: Anonymous

What version of AutoCAD?
You can check for display adapter compatibility and find the supported/recommended driver(s) here:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/certified-graphics-hardware

I suspect you have already seen this?

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Unwant...

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: rkmcswain

Thanks Smiley Happy    He's still on 17.   And it does appear NVIDIA Quadro m2000m is recommended. (but not on 18!)  Are these recommended drivers the same as what windows would automatically download, or are they optimized for autocad? 

It also appears I'll have to make a judgment call about whether these graphic cards will have serious issues should they move to 18 since they aren't recommended for that version.

I did the steps in the link , but it was inconclusive, because he'd already gotten past  the lines by fluke after several restarts.  He'd gotten the idea from this forum post that his graphics card was insufficient, even if the settings change fixes it.

Message 4 of 4
rkmcswain
in reply to: Anonymous

(A) If an adapter is not listed, they generally means they just have not tested it. It does not mean it is necessarily incompatible.

(B) Same goes for a driver. Those are the drivers that Autodesk has tested. We routinely run newer versions of the NVIDIA drivers here with no problems.

(C) I don't know when @pendean wrote that, as compared to when Autodesk acknowledged the issue via the AKN article (because they routinely update the date on those AKN articles) - but always check the link I posted earlier as to whether a particular hardware item is supported/recommended/etc. Something from 2 years ago might not have been then, but may be now.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report