Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snapping in Paper Space, References Whatever is in Model Space.

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
kpennell
3557 Views, 5 Replies

Snapping in Paper Space, References Whatever is in Model Space.

The topic is the best way I could put it to hopefully get some views and responses to my issue.  I believe this started in 2012, but I'm unsure though.

Consider the following scenario:

We detail an extensive amount of 3D solid entities using viewports in layout tabs.  Most of detailing entities are in model space, things like dimensions, part callout, and other text entities that provide description as to what's going on in the viewport.  Periodically, there is a need to create entities in paper space.  Lets say for example, I'm zoomed out to the layout of the page setup, and I have a viewport with a lot of 3D solid entities.  Still zoomed out now, I want to add an icon to the corner of the viewport.  When I invoke the "endpoint" osnap to insert my icon at the viewport's, without zooming in, and try to pick a corner of the viewport, the icon gets inserted to an endpoint of an entity that's in model space.  What a pain in the behind.  The only real work-around is to zoom right into the corner of the viewport, which defeats the whole point of osnaps in the first place.

I remember this not being the case.  Did AutoCAD introduce a variable and set it's default to something that I don't it to be, or is this a screw-up of AutoCAD?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
pendean
in reply to: kpennell

AFAIK nothing has changed: you need to control the PICKBOX/APBOX settings to do what you seek, model or paperspace.

Message 3 of 6
steve216586

The only way I know of to do this is through the Aperture settings. Object snap applies only to objects inside or crossing the object snap target box. The APBOX system variable controls whether the object snap target box is displayed. The number of pixels you enter using APERTURE controls the size of the object snap box. The higher the number, the larger the target box. Or in your case, I would think you would want it to be smaller so it only grabs the corner and not objects close to it.. You can also change this setting in the Options dialog box, Drafting tab.

This isn't the same as PICKBOX variable.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 4 of 6
kpennell

Thanks,

Setting the aperture to 1, seems to have solved the issue, without doing too much testing on it.

Do you think productivity would slow down with the setting being at 1?  Why would anyone want to have it set to 50, the other end of the spectrum?

Thanks again,

KP

Message 5 of 6
steve216586

Mine is set to 5 and sometimes I wish it were smaller like in your case when I'm zoomed out a little too far and don't want to continually zoom in and out. I think it takes time to get used to it but once you are it will be like second nature. For example, my mouse is set to the fastest setting and other users go off the screen pretty easily when they use my machine but I can control it just fine.

I'm glad it worked for you.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 6 of 6
kpennell

True Enough,

I just tested it set at 50, and now the paper space osnap works, which leads me to believe this is not the setting I'm looking for.  I set it back to 10, and it's behaving as normal, as I want it to be.

This peculiar for sure.

If it acts up again, I'll make a change to the setting and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks again.

KP

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report