Did you mean: 

Site Topography, contour lines and terrain setup for 3D model

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
2455 Views, 5 Replies

Site Topography, contour lines and terrain setup for 3D model

I have set up my geo location with google earth, inserted it have toggle terrain on. I created the contour lines unsing intersect faces method and used sandbox to map the site terrain. How can I get this into cad so I can use it as my terrain to build my 3d model on.
I have a site survey pdf vector  with the contours and spot points, but I dont know how to convert this to an x.y.z or txt file to import into my model, so i was trying to use sketch up to get around that?
any ideas or methods would be helpful. thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
john.vellek
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous,

I see that you are visiting as a new member to the AutoCAD forum. Welcome to the Autodesk Community!

Which version of AutoCAD are you using?  Have you tried using PDFIMPORT to bring in the vector-based PDF?

If you are willing to share your file so I can take a look, it might give me a better idea of your challenge.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

Hi I have ACAD2018studentv,

If import my pdf vecotr how do I translate that to x,y,z or txt format?

Message 4 of 6
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

I used PDFIMPORT to bring the PDF into AutoCAD. I scaled it (by Reference using the bar scale as the known dimension). I then created a page setup in Layout 1 and made it 24x36.  Next I used chspace to move the titleblock and notes to paperspace. Then, I set the scale of the viewport to a known scale.

Then I went back into the model and moved items manually to the specified heights.  I suggest that if this works, you replace the "contour lines" which are solids by continuous lines or plines with the Midpoint osnap.

I hope this gets you started.

Capture.PNGCapture1.PNG

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

Thanks so ,much!

Message 6 of 6
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

I hope this is enough to get you started. It still needs more work. For instance any sloping linework (not contour lines) will need to be corrected as everything is in a flat x-y plane.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

John Vellek

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta