Did you mean: 

Shape files won't explode / snap

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
malewca3D
864 Views, 5 Replies

Shape files won't explode / snap

This might be a really obvious fix, but was hoping someone could help me.

I have had a topo survey file sent to me with shape files as the station points (triangle) and crosshairs for the survey points. I need to shift the whole drawing to its correct geolocation using these points as a point of reference, but I cannot snap to the shapes, I cannot explode them and I cannot seem to convert them to lines in any way. There are way too many to trace and replace.

I'm pretty sure they come from an SHX file, but they are shapes, not text. Is there any way to crunch them down into base line work?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
imadHabash
in reply to: malewca3D

Hi,

you may need to get the missed files from others who send this file . BUT maybe COMPILE command will do something . >> Click <<

Regards,

Imad Habash

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
S.Faris

Post a sample file if possible. Also did you try TXTEXP (Text Explode)?

SALMANUL FARIS

Message 4 of 6
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> I cannot snap to the shapes,

Shape objects can be snapped with objectsnap _INS (in the same way as block-insertions).

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 5 of 6
Moshe-A

@malewca3D  hi

here is your solution:

Express\Blocks\Convert Shape to Block  Smiley LOL

moshe

Tags (1)
Message 6 of 6
malewca3D
in reply to: Moshe-A

Sorry, taken a while to get back to you. Thanks for the suggestions.

I couldn't find Shape to Block in my Express drop down, but found the SHP2BLK command online and it partly worked. For the simple crosses at the points, it works a dream, converted it to a block (thanks @Moshe-A!) and as a result, it replaced other instances across the drawing with that block. Perfect.

However, it failed to convert the triangular station symbol for some reason. It seemed to be doing something initially and then it just deleted the shape (and other instances of it) from the drawing. It left me with a block of that name, but the block was empty as well.

It's less urgent now, but i just wanted to pop back on and say thanks to those of you who had suggested solutions. I'm happy to mark @Moshe-A  's solution as an answer, because I can see that is how it is done, but it would be nice if anyone knows why the one converted and the other not, just for future reference. Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta