Select Command not selecting!

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
3835 Views, 12 Replies

Select Command not selecting!

Hi all,

I often use the "select command" but and type in L for selecting the object I just created. Then I perform an action like editing it's properties.

But for some times already I haven't been able to use the "select" command. My problem is illustrated as below.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

for me that "markers" look like result of clickpoints (when BLIPMODE was on), so that is no geometry, so there is really nothing that could be selected.

Run command _REGEN and these items will disappear, am I right? If not upload that drawing please so we can look into it.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Alfred, 

Thanks for your prompt respond.

it's a very minor bug. If I click the object I can still select it.

But if I type in "select" in command line and do the selection then, the object stays unselected after hitting enter.

Message 4 of 13
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> If I click the object I can still select it.

Then please upload the drawing!

Of course that might be points as part of a block (when the block has it's insertion point far away) or something like that, but for us (to help) we need something "we can click" 😉

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous

Hi Alfred,

I really don't think the drawing file itself has anything to do with it.

I think it's more likely because of some parameters that I set wrong in my copy of autocad.

Despite that, I just uploaded a new file with nothing but a rectangle.

Try using the command "select" and see if you can select it.

Message 6 of 13
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

sorry, I didn't read correctly and thougth from the video just the points on the screen are of interest as not selectable, sorry about that!

Now, reading again, the property window will only show the object info when the selection command is finished, in your video you typed in L, but then an <ENTER> is missing to finish the command itself.

The usual canditate for all about selection: is PICKFIRST set to 1?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous

Hi Alfred,

I did press enter. but as you can see the preview disappeared and left with nothing being selected.

Pickfirst is set to 1 and if I use selectsimilar it works like a charm.

I'd like to use the function "select last". That means I need to be able to use the command "select". (as dumb as it may sound)

Message 8 of 13
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

If you have not done to much customization then you can try to reset the profile-settings like described >>>here<<< or you login with a new user to your Windows and see if it happens there too.

Other ideas:

• how is sysvar GRIPS set (2 or other value)?
  • try to dock your commandline instead of the new mode with transarent growing command lines.

At least strange as I can't reproduce your situation now.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Message 9 of 13
jggerth

Just to clarify,,, 'L' <enter> at an object selection prompt will select the last item created that is visible on screen.  Entering 'L' by itself at a command prompt should start the LINE command.

Entering 'P'<enter> at an object selection prompt will add the Previous selection set to the current selection set.  That sounds more like what you are after, and works well here with the SELECT command.

Also, explore using GROUP to create re-usable selection sets.

Message 10 of 13
wispoxy

Set PICKFIRST System variable to 1 (type PICKFIRST, hit Return (Enter), type 1, hit Return).

From HELP:

"PICKFIRST

Type:Integer
Saved in:Registry
Initial value:1

Controls whether you select objects before (noun-verb selection) or after you issue a command.

Turns off PICKFIRST; you select objects after you issue a command

Turns on PICKFIRST; you select objects before you issue a command

Message 11 of 13
Kent1Cooper

@Anonymous wrote:

I often use the "select command" but and type in L for selecting the object I just created. Then I perform an action like editing it's properties.

After the l [lower-case L] and space in your video, the command-line display does say "1 found," and it highlights it, as it should, though it does not turn on its grips, as it wouldn't in any other command within the object-selection process -- it only does grips in picking things outside any command in PICKFIRST mode.  Once you complete the selection [another Enter/space], the highlighting disappears, and the result is that what you Selected is stored in the Previous selection set -- it does not remain selected and highlighted, nor gripped.  Select has always worked that way, and it looks like it's working correctly.

I don't think you can be performing actions on such things immediately after completing a Select command, but only by picking it again in PICKFIRST mode, or by calling up an editing command and using P for the selection in it.  [But maybe there's something different about newer versions than what I have here.]

Also, I can't help but wonder why you would type in the Select command name and an L to get the last object, when you can just pick it and go, or call up an editing command and use L for the selection in place of the P you would need to use after getting it with a Select command.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 12 of 13
AJacobson5KQBE

For anyone in the future-

The difference between PICKADD=1 and PICKADD=2 is the solution to what's happening here; the select command will only retain the selected objects if PICKADD=2. If PICKADD=1, the select command will highlight but not create a selection set with the objects once the command has ended.

Message 13 of 13

Thanks for posting this solution.  These things can be tricky to narrow down and I'm glad I found your reply!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report