Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit Polyface Mesh to AutoCAD 3D Solid

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
1599 Views, 8 Replies

Revit Polyface Mesh to AutoCAD 3D Solid

I am having trouble converting a .dwg file which contains Polyface Mesh into a .stl file. I believe the reason I cannot do this is because I can't convert the Polyface Mesh into a solid (when exporting to .stl file, I'm asked to "Select solids or watertight meshes", and when I attempt to select anything, I receive the message "Selected objects must be  solids or watertight meshes").

I have attached an example case with a small number of Polyface Mesh objects. I'd like to be able to convert a .dwg file containing many more Polyface Mesh objects to .stl. Thank you.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
j.palmeL29YX
in reply to: Anonymous

Search in the forum for "Polyface mesh". This issue was often discussed here.

cadder

Jürgen Palme
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: j.palmeL29YX

One solution I found was to use SMOOTHMORE, which converts the "Polyface Mesh" into a "Mesh". However, this mesh is just a blob and loses the structure of the cuboid. Subsequently using SMOOTHLESS results in a cuboid "Mesh". Is there a way to convert a "Polyface MEsh" to a "Mesh" without doing the above?

Message 4 of 9
j.palmeL29YX

Try this:

https://autode.sk/2y7seU1

cadder

Jürgen Palme
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: j.palmeL29YX

I have looked at relevant documentation and in the relevant previous forum posts. The reason I am using a forum is to get help from users.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

Also, in any case, the resulting .stl file is just full of blobs.

Message 7 of 9
j.palmeL29YX

@Anonymous  schrieb:

Also, in any case, the resulting .stl file is just full of blobs.

In the video above (Posting #4) you can see, how to convert PolyfaceMeshes to 3DSolid(s). If you habe problems with the next step (convert to .stl) I cannot help. I have no experiences with this file format. And this has nothing to do with the subject of this thread (Polyface to solid).
If you habe problems converting to solids let us see an appopriate example ("... in some cases..." is not helpful for help). 

cadder

Jürgen Palme

EESignature

Message 8 of 9
paulo_silvaSB679

Hi!

I did this process in AutoCAD 2024 and it worked

• Select Polyface mesh
  • Type Comand "CONVTOMESH"
  • Select object again and right click
  • Select "Smoth less"
  • Select object again and right click
  • Select "Convert mesh to"
  • Select "Faceted Solid"

Hope it works for you too

Message 9 of 9
autoid374ceb4990

I downloaded your DWG file, but could not load it because I have a really old (R14) version of AutoCAD, so I converted it with Tru View.   Many years ago I wrote some ARX code to convert 3DFACE's into an STL file. If you explode the meshes do they become 3DFACE's? I would think it should be relatively easy to write LISP code to convert the 3DFACE's into an STL file, so you might try posting your question over in the Visual LISP, AutoLISP and General Customization forum.  I have attached the STL file that I converted from your DWG file.  It is in a ZIP file because the forum would not allow the insertion of an STL file???

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report