Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RESTRICT DIMENSION NODES TO OBJECT SNAPS?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
derekshoupLQWBA
341 Views, 6 Replies

RESTRICT DIMENSION NODES TO OBJECT SNAPS?

Is there a way to restrict dimension node locations to only object snaps? That is, to prevent dimensioning 'close to', but not actually on, an entity's endpoint, center, quadrant, etc.

I have the desired Object Snap modes selected in Drafting Settings, and my Pickbox size is at maximum, which helps, but I still find myself zooming in more than I would like to and even then entering 'end', 'cen', 'quad', etc. just to ensure I hit the mark and not a random point in space.

Thanks!

Tags (3)
Labels (3)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
s.borello
in reply to: derekshoupLQWBA

Snap override for node only, or turn off your other snap points while you are dimensioning. 

Message 3 of 7
pendean

Turn off all the OSNAPS you do not want, only toggle/turn on the exact one you need.
AND zoom in closer than 10000feet too.
Message 4 of 7

@derekshoupLQWBA wrote:

.... I have the desired Object Snap modes selected in Drafting Settings.....

Would those modes happen to include NEArest?  That is a common cause of just the kind of problem you describe, because it will almost always "win" over other modes.  I always recommend that NEArest never be included among running Osnap modes.

In any case, if you have multiple modes running, you don't need to type in [or pick from the Ctrl+right-click pop-up list] the one you want from among several possibilities near the same cursor location, to get the location of the one you want.  Just hover in the vicinity and press TAB [repeatedly if necessary] until the symbol for the specific one you want shows, then pick.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 5 of 7
devitg

@derekshoupLQWBA I use Osmode set to 183 

devitg_0-1646860117819.png

Message 6 of 7
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: devitg

@devitg wrote:

.... I use Osmode set to 183

Since I don't very often deal in Circles and Arcs, I typically use 163 [END/MID/INT/PER combination].

But I'm curious about the inclusion of both CENter and QUAdrant modes.  I expect that when you want the CENter of something, you usually need to either call for it overtly anyway, or TAB-cycle to get it.  Except when the radius of the curve is comparatively small in comparison to the Aperture box size, one of the QUAdrant points will almost always be closer to the cursor location than the CENter is, and therefore will "win."

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 7 of 7
devitg
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

@Kent1Cooper Thanks for your tips , before I use 191 , now 183 , is good for me 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report