Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rename and Renumber Sheet Problem

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
ronrosten6532
2532 Views, 15 Replies

Rename and Renumber Sheet Problem

The Sheet Set Manager I created months ago will no longer allow me to edit the Layout Name and the File Name using the SSM.  I am able to edit the Sheet Title and Number.  There is nobody else using the SSM or the AutoCAD files.  I am able to still use the Rename and Renumber feature in other projects.  Why has this project's SSM suddenly stopped me from using this feature?

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
john.vellek
in reply to: ronrosten6532

Hi @ronrosten6532,

Is this a large SheetSet? Do you just manage your sheets or are you also using views and callouts? It is likely that the sheetset is damaged to the point you will have to recreate it. Can you attach it and a couple of files that are associated with it? (you can strip out sensitive content from the drawings).

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 3 of 16
ronrosten6532
in reply to: john.vellek

For this sheet set it's medium size (~30 files) and I just manage the sheets.  If it's damaged I think I'll just leave it as is, I'm near the end of the project.  The funny thing about it is I can insert new drawings into it, I just can'r rename or renumber.  Any idea how it would become damaged? Thanks for the response.

Message 4 of 16

It could be that the association between the SSM and the Layout tab has been lost. 

1. In the SSM, right-click on the sheet giving you trouble and select "Properties"

2. Then compare the paths between the "Expected Layout" and "Found Layout".  If they are different, then re-associate them. 

3. Then try renaming the Layout tab through the SSM and NOT the Layout tab directly
Message 5 of 16

The "Expected Layout" and "Found Layout" are the same.  I am unable to rename the Layout tab through the SSM, only directly in the drawing.

Message 6 of 16

Maybe try re-associating them anyway. It may give the SSM a needed "kick"

Also, there might be an extra DWL file kicking around in your drawing folder.  There should only be one DWL file (while you have the DWG open), so if you see a DWL2 (or something similar), try deleting it.  That extra "lock" file may be preventing you from renaming the Layout tab

Message 7 of 16

I've removed drawings from the SSM and then imported the layout back into the SSM and I still have the same issues.  There are no extra DLW2 files in the drawing folder.

Message 8 of 16

When you try to rename the tab, are there any other drawings open?  At the very least, a blank drawing MUST be open before you can make any changes like renaming a Layout tab

Message 9 of 16

Yes sir, there are other drawings open.  I've been using the SSM for several years and I am familiar with that.

Message 10 of 16
john.vellek

Hi @ronrosten6532,

Can you attach your sheetset file and one of the corresponding drawings so I can take a look? You can obviously erase all the sensitive data in the file.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 11 of 16
ronrosten6532

Here you go.

Message 12 of 16
john.vellek

Hi @ronrosten6532,

I opened your sheet set and went to the Figure 3 Dwgs subset. I selected the first sheet and re-associated it to the drawing file you sent me. Then I rt-clicked and changed the sheet number without any problem. I even renamed the drawing title without any problem. It would not however let me rename the layout.

So, I then removed the drawing from the list. When I tried to reattach it still thinks it is associated with a sheet set. the sheet also had a lock symbol next to it which means it is locked. The file was not read-only so I got really confused.

So here is what I did.

I moved the sheetset and file to a new folder. Now when I selected the properties for the sheet it showed an Expected Layout (original location) but nothing for Found Layout. When I clicked on the Expected Layout, I pointed to the file in its new location.

After that I was able to work normally.

If this doesn't make any sense I can do a Screencast video but it is slow since I don't have all the sheets on my computer.

John Vellek

Message 13 of 16
murray-clack

I know the SSM doesn't care for long folder path names, but the original post shows a relatively short path structure.

The only other thing I can think of is that maybe the original Layout tab was renamed, and then renamed BACK to its original name.

Message 14 of 16
john.vellek
in reply to: murray-clack

Hi @murray-clack,

I did try renaming the tab and then trying to set it back but that didn't make any difference. The file's association with the sheet set was damaged somehow and the only way i could get to it corrected was to move it to a new folder.  Since this sheet list is not super long it could be rebuilt in a new location and should behave properly again.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Message 15 of 16
ronrosten6532

Thanks for looking into this but I think I'll just live with it for now.  I have 50 files in my drawing folder and I'd rather not re-enter all title sheet information.

Message 16 of 16
john.vellek

Hi @ronrosten6532,

I feel the pain - sorry I couldn't give you a better solution.

John Vellek

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta