ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Remove stretch points in polyline

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
jaron.kasiban
796 Views, 4 Replies

Remove stretch points in polyline

I have a bunch of these 'kinks' (in image) in my polyline, some of these kinks are made with stretch points (I'm assuming thats what the rectangle thing on the line is) and it takes  long time for me to clean up the polyline. Right now I use the break command to break the line and create new vertex points and join those two together. Is there a way to get rid of these stretch points so I can just remove a vertex point rather than go through the process of using the break command?

Weird thing.PNG

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Š’eekeeCZ
in reply to: jaron.kasiban

Explode the polyline into lines.

Measure the length of the short line.

Use QSELECT to select all short lines by their length (exaggerate the length to surely cover all short lines but not lines you want to keep).

Use PEDIT command, Multiple, Join, Jointype-Extend, fuzz (again, your reasonably exaggerated length) and hope it fixes most of the flaws.

If happens that you might have access to C3D or MAP verticals, they have a bunch of tools for cleaning up such issues.

Message 3 of 5
cadffm

Without programming I would use the sub-element selection method [hold CTRL and select..] to delete parts of the polyline,

or a macro with RECTANG & EXTRIM (ExpressTools) .

After trim or delete, for closed polyines (like your sample polyline), set "closed" property back to Yes (in properties palette).

Instead of break, in some situations it could be helpful (if expresstools installed)

^C^C^C_.RECTANG;\\_.EXTRIM;_last;\_.ERASE;_last;;

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 4 of 5

You can remove the vertex before you execute the STRETCH command. Select the line so the blue grips appear=>Hover your cursor over a blue grip=>click Remove Vertex. 

CBDF9A9A-5331-41BC-94D2-38A675D59428.jpeg

Depending on the number of vertices you remove, the Stretch command wonā€™t give you so many vertices (or may not give you extra vertices at all).

Chicagolooper
Message 5 of 5
Kent1Cooper

I would use the select-Polyline-and-hover-over-grip / Remove-vertex approach suggested, if doing it manually isn't too tedious and if what you want as an end result is to keep one of them in place and delete the other.  If you want that automated for large numbers of such situations, does it matter which one is kept and which is deleted?  Should the midpoint of the short segment be used instead of keeping one of the current adjacent vertices?

Are arc segments ever part of the picture?  A routine could, for example, find all segments shorter than some specified length, and Straighten the Polyline from the beginning of such a segment to two vertices later, but if the remaining segment involved is an arc, it would become a line segment.  This is what PLDiet.lsp's PLD command [available >here<] does, if you opt not to preserve arc segments, but if you opt to preserve them, it may not remove the short segment in that situation [it might, depending on the specific geometry].  You might be able to use PLD to do what you want, with careful determination of a maximum length to straighten.

Kent Cooper, AIA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report