XREF loading old version of drawing

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
robherr
725 Views, 3 Replies

XREF loading old version of drawing

Hello All,

Old time AutoCAD user here with a question whether anyone else has had an XREF that will not update.

AutoCAD 2019, attached XREF has been opened, modified, saved and closed. Reload All Xrefs still shows old version of drawing (lines not moved to new locations etc.)

I closed all drawings and AutoCAD, copied the XREF DWG file in explorer, gave it a new name.

Opened original host drawing and Attached new copy (with new name) of XREF drawing, still shows old linework that does not exist in the new copied drawing file.

There are no other versions of this newly named files anywhere else, so it cannot be a path or wrong file problem.

Any Ideas?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
ChicagoLooper
in reply to: robherr

@robherr  wrote

<<I closed all drawings and AutoCAD, copied the XREF DWG file in explorer, gave it a new name.>>

Try this:

1. In the Windows folder, make a copy of the original xref. Rename the original xref by adding ‘_Old’ as a suffix. Next rename the new xref_Copy using the original xref name. 
  2. Open the New xref and make your edits. When completed save and close. 
  3. Open your host drawing. Next, open the External references palette. Verify the New edited version is attached. You should not see xref_Old. If you do, DETACH it. 
Chicagolooper
Message 3 of 4
ChicagoLooper

Duplicate post. 

Chicagolooper
Message 4 of 4
robherr

Thanks @ChicagoLooper for the reply. Trying to take the forensics approach to figure out what happened here, I saved all of the drawings on multiple occasions through the process, and had detached the xrefs, so I don't know now what the paths were for the xrefs that were giving me problems. I did find an additional copy of the xrfe'd drawing on my desktop later (I now don't know if this one was one that my host drawing was referencing). 

Your solution worked fine, thank you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report