Did you mean: 

Rectangles in Rectangles

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
503 Views, 2 Replies

Rectangles in Rectangles

I am looking for either a formula or a command/Macro in AutoCAD that will allow me to maximize the area taken up in a large rectangle with smaller pre-sized rectangles. I am designing a filter banks that have 3 different sized filters and the purpose is to maximize the AREA used on the plate. The plate itself has many sizes smallest being about 36" by 36", the three  filters are 12 x 24, 20 x 24, and 24 x 24. The main thing I'm looking at is how do I effectively pack as many filters into the size as possible. the point is to maximize the area that is filters. I've looked at cut sheets but they require me to set up how many of each filters is needed, when in the end the number of filters and which filters are needed.

Labels (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
dmfrazier
in reply to: Anonymous

What you have described, I think, is generally referred to as "nesting", common in sheet metal production. There is software available for that. Have you done any research?

Message 3 of 3
RobDraw
in reply to: Anonymous

I'm pretty sure some people have come up with LISP solutions that will do this in AutoCAD. Try asking over in the LISP forum.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report