2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
250 Views, 2 Replies

Question for structural drafters australia

Hi 🙂

I have a question that I would really love an answer to please 🙂

In Australia, there is a job title, 'Design Drafter' but I am wondering if the design drafter can design reo, concrete etc...OR, is this person someone who plans the layout of the drawings for each project?

I actually don't know any design drafter's who can design reo and concrete for buildings. If they could, what would the engineer do for work?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
gotphish001
in reply to: Anonymous

I'm not in Australia but CAD job titles seem to be pretty arbitrary. My boss would probably let me put "Emperor of Drafting Land" on my business card if I wanted too. It wouldn't affect what I actually do. A lot of people that do CAD are able to have design input but I'd say it always still needs to get signed off on by someone with an engineering degree. I've seen many cad titles and it seems the only words that should be avoided are things like "drafting engineer" which implies you are some kind of engineer or other professional degree that you may not possess.  

Nick DiPietro
Cad Manager/Monkey

Message 3 of 3
john.vellek
in reply to: Anonymous

HI @Anonymous,

I see that you are visiting as a new member to the AutoCAD forum. Welcome to the Autodesk Community!

I was just in Australia for my first time and loved it. (I know, nothing to do with your question).

I searched through some job boards for Structural Draftsman positions in Australia.  From what I can tell, there is quite a varied experience level associated with this title. In the states, a draftsman might actually be able to do the design and documentation subject to a Professional Engineer's approval.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report