qselect all dynamic blocks with the same name but a certain distance1 value

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
MikeKovacik4928
1393 Views, 11 Replies

qselect all dynamic blocks with the same name but a certain distance1 value

Hi all

I would like to use the qselect command to select all dynamic blocks with a certain name that have a certain "distance1" value

In my case I have hundreds of dynamic blocks called "ledger" all with different "distance1" values.

I just want to select all dynamic blocks called "ledger" with a "distance1" value of 2500.

Is it possible to do that using the Qselect command (I can't see any options)

or any other way

Michael Kovacik

AutoCAD 2018

Joburg, South Africa

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
dmfrazier
in reply to: MikeKovacik4928

Is "distance1" a dynamic property or an attribute?

If it's an attribute, then you could use FIND (not knowing what you plan to do after finding/selecting them).

Message 3 of 12
MikeKovacik4928
in reply to: dmfrazier

a dynamic property.

I just want to see where they are, ie once they are selected I can move them or change their properties

Message 4 of 12
dmfrazier

That's what I suspected. FIND won't help.

I'm sure that there are LISP (or other) programmers who have worked out ways to select DBs based on property names or their values. You could try searching (and/or posting) in the DB group or the customization (LISP, etc.) group.

Message 5 of 12
MikeKovacik4928
in reply to: dmfrazier

Thanks

I will try that

Message 6 of 12
vinodkl

Hi,

Here is an awesome lisp(see attachment) that I use to qselect dynamic block-based on the dynamic properties.

Credits to the creator.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ವಿನೋದ್ ಕೆ ಎಲ್( System Design Engineer)

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others.

Please mark "Accept as Solution" if my reply resolves the issue or answers your question, to help others in the community.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 7 of 12
MikeKovacik4928
in reply to: vinodkl

Thanks

apploaded it.

Can't get it to work.

I have isolated a particular layer with a single dynamic block with many instances of different lookups and distances.

I now want to select all the instances with one particular lookup and distance.

I don't want to select on the whole drawing just a window selection of my own choosing.

Can you possibly elaborate or post an exampleAQ 087 DynBlk-Select Distance_005.jpgAQ 087 DynBlk-Select Distance_006.jpg

Mike

Message 8 of 12
vinodkl

Hi,

Yes you can do that. initiate the lisp using the command "SSD" now select the block which you wish to qselect. A dialog box appears, where you need to specify the "distance" and "lookup" and then highlight "selection" instead of "all drawing" and click ok. Now you would be asked to create the selection within which you need to filter.

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others.

Please mark "Accept as Solution" if my reply resolves the issue or answers your question, to help others in the community.
Message 9 of 12
MikeKovacik4928

Okay

Got it now. Works beautifully!!

This could have save me over an hours work last night!

Thanks

Mike

Message 10 of 12

Finally

In conclusion let me say that in future I am going to steer clear of dynamic blocks

in my plan views, which I use to count the equipment.

I will just use ordinary blocks, they are much easier to count (using Bcount).

Dynamic Blocks are just too much of a hassle to count (even with the existence of "eattedit")

and too difficult to find (athough now easier with this  SSD lisp routine)

I will still continue using dynamic blocks for my other views which I don't use for counting.

Mike Kovacik

AutoCAD 2d & 3D & Inventor Draughtsman

Joburg South Africa

Message 11 of 12
vinodkl

Both the static block and the dynamic blocks have their own advantages and disadvantages. In our company, we do use dynamic block symbols and we count it using a lisp "DBCOUNT"(Dynamic block count) which counts only based on the visibility states. Earlier we had them as static blocks, and we had it changed because its lot easier with dynamic block since each block has many visibility and easier to change them into any type.

Message 12 of 12
MikeKovacik4928

Both the static block and the dynamic blocks have their own advantages and disadvantages

Definitely.

Dynamic block advantages might only be visible however by more advanced autocad users.

Also if there are no company cad standards, and every draughtsman is allowed to work his own way,

thus possibly having many different methods of doing the same thing, these advantages might not be

known to all the draughtsmen within the drawing office.

In our company, we do use dynamic block symbols and we count it using a lisp "DBCOUNT"(Dynamic block count) which counts only based on the visibility states.

This is a nice lisp done by Lee mac and works nicely, but once again, not all draughtsmen might be at that level where they are using lisp routines to speed up their work, especially if there is no team work, ie cad meetings and swopping of ideas between draughtsmen.

Earlier we had them as static blocks, and we had it changed because its lot easier with dynamic block since each block has many visibility and easier to change them into any type.

Once again, true depending on autocad expertise within drawing office.

I would still prefer to stick to the normal blocks on the plan view. It makes it much easier for the draughtsman who is checking the quantities, and might not know how to count dynamic blocks

Mike

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta