Did you mean: 

Problem with cutting/section plane line

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
1431 Views, 3 Replies

Problem with cutting/section plane line

Hello,

In text book said that for cutting plane/section line the end should be thick line and elsewhere is thin. How can I do it because this is same line. Any idea please?

Regards

Sayem

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
beyoungjr
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello,

I trust you understand that section lines are the line objects that make up the hatch pattern which fills a section view, and that a cutting plane line represents the patch of cut to designate where the section view is generated from???

I treat both of these as annotations, like dimensions and text, so I typically place these on the annotation or dimension layer.  Are you familiar with layer usage yet??

If you are familiar with layer usage you might know that you can see lineweights for your layers and that most annotations should be a thinner lineweight than the object lines (.5mm for object lines and .3mm for annotation objects).

That said, the cutting plane line will be an exception to the thinner rule!  The cutting plane should be a littl;e thicker than the object lines so you may change that by using Properties.

If you select your cutting plane line and right-click to choose Properties you will see many settings.  The lineweight is the one you are after.  It might read "Bylayer", meaning that the object is inheriting the lineweight of the layer it is placed on.  Simply override that setting so it is .7mm or maybe .9mm.

It is very wise to use layer settings for objects in AutoCAD but occasionally an override is helpful so that you can keep certain data on layers with similar data purposes.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Blaine

Blaine Young
Senior Engineering Technician, US Army

Message 3 of 4
GrantsPirate
in reply to: Anonymous

You can use a Pline, set the width for start and end, draw the first part, set width again, draw, set width again, draw.  I sometimes create the arrow while I am doing this, so start width zero, end width much wider, create arrow, set width equal, draw next section, set with smaller for start and end, draw, then reverse the order.  Do that once and create a block that can be inserted, exploded, stretched to the correct length.

Lots of other ways, such as a dynamic block, etc.

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 4 of 4
beyoungjr
in reply to: GrantsPirate

Great catch @GrantsPirate!

I actually thought about explaining the pline method for the cutting plane line just after responding but wanted to wait to see what the OP came back with.

Maybe the OP hasn't been able to look it over yet or maybe I chased them off  Smiley Wink

Blaine Young
Senior Engineering Technician, US Army

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta