Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printing to PDF with solid hatch transparency doesn't work.

36 REPLIES 36
SOLVED
Message 1 of 37
peterjwinberg
16895 Views, 36 Replies

Printing to PDF with solid hatch transparency doesn't work.

I've tried in both AutoCAD 2015 and Architecture 2018.

We're trying to use a transparent solid hatch for our wall fill. Printing with "DWG to PDF" pc3 creates what appears to be a suitable PDF. However, when we print hard copies from that PDF (or even print to PDF from the PDF, to create a new PDF) we have various errors throughout the drawing. Some objects don't show up, or they appear masked somehow. See before and after images.

I read in another post that using gradient hatch might help, but it yielded the same result. I tried using the "AutoCAD PDF" pc3 as well, didn't work. Merge control didn't help. I accidentally printed without transparency (with solid hatch though, instead of the dot patern we're switching from) and everything showed up fine. It seems to be boiled down to printing a solid hatch with transparency.

Any fixes? Thanks!

36 REPLIES 36
Message 21 of 37

Here is the Etransmit files with ctb file included.  I have had great success for the last few years with the hatch transparency option.  In fact, as soon as this new command was offered I embraced it enthusiastically.  I have only experienced problems in the last month with 2018.  I have countless files set up to use this function as it was in previous versions and my standards cannot be changed to accommodate changes to the command functionality.  I know how to use the command and have my pens set up accordingly.  

Message 22 of 37

Here is a PDF created in AutoCAD 2016.  You can see that all shrub symbols have a transparency assigned (using color 250, which is my standard mask color) and you can still read what is below each symbol although faintly.  

Message 23 of 37

Hi,

>> Here is the Etransmit files with ctb file included

>> You can see that all shrub symbols have a transparency assigned

>> (using color 250, which is my standard mask color)

Thank you ... have you tried to set the layer color (e.g. for layer *-MASK) to an rgb-value (e.g. 220,220,220)?

For me that looks well, is this what you are looking for

>> In fact, as soon as this new command was offered

Which new command do you mean?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 24 of 37

Hi Alfred,

I appreciate the feedback, however as I stated previously I have set up my standards to work with a command that used to function in previous versions.  I can't just change my standards to put a bandaid on something that should function correctly.  To take that amount of time to change all of my files means I will lose money, alot of money.  I've paid for a program that should work as well as it did in past versions.  If Autodesk hasn't worked out the bugs before they release a new version, then they shouldn't be in such a hurry to do so.  Or, if bugs arise then they should fix it and issue an update.  I've paid for a program that is supposed to work.  It shouldn't be the responsibility of all its users around the world to try and figure out how to make their software function correctly.  

Thanks, Kurt

Message 25 of 37
cadffm
in reply to: terradesignworks

@terradesignworks

Tell this to Autodesk (Autodesk Support), we are Users like you and we want to help you to reach the goal (your plot like you want them)

My solution for you based on the information we know: Use your Plotstyle(table) to change the result, so you dont have to change the cad-file.

For example (it is not perfect, only for example): Set the plotstyle color_250 to color 220,220,220 (in dialog appears color9 but this is ok)

and set screening to 100%. Do a test.. and find your own desired combination of color and screening!

Thats the "cheapiest&fastest" way the get the goal.

(and your layer L-SHEET-VIEWS you can set to non-plotable, but this is offtopic)

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 26 of 37

HI @terradesignworks,

I played with this for a while this morning. I am not sure how your PDF that you provided relates to the drawing you provided as I don't see the same blocks with the transparent hatches.

I didn't touch the plot style table at all when I worked with your data.  I did however find that when I opened one of your shrubs with the transparent hatch, the transparency was set to 30 which is still fairly dense.  I changed that to 85 and now when I plot it looks more similar to your original PDF.

I am sorry if I am misunderstanding your issue but to my knowledge, nothing has changed in the hatch transparency in AutoCAD 2018.

Capture.PNGThis image is captured from my plotted PDF using your Plot Style.

This next image is what I see on my screen in layout view.  To my eyes the transparency looks the same.

Capture1.PNG

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 27 of 37
cadffm
in reply to: john.vellek

@john.vellek

You know the problems with autocad&verticals too.

Think about the 255-color/transparency and all other threads with a similar description/issue Threads..

Here my compare example. Transparency works well, but with unexpected presentation (color/screening)

(the topic in this thread here isn't very well, it should be '2018 transparency plot result wrong' what means "not like i want' or 'not like in earlier versions')

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 28 of 37
john.vellek
in reply to: cadffm

Hi @cadffm,

Thanks for the additional information. This is actually the first time I have seen this issue.

To me, it appears that the transparency values for the hatches have been reversed from prior versions.  Do you have one or two other threads that you can point out to me?  I would like to get this in front of development to see if they can take a look.

I am unclear though on the exact methods to reproduce the issue.  I compare what I see on my screen in AutoCAD 2018 to the resulting plot and it looks the same.  Can you help explain the intended outcome? I apologize that I am not totally understanding how this is not working as expected but I really do want to get this inspected as soon as possible. Any additional insight is most appreciated.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 29 of 37
terradesignworks
in reply to: cadffm

Hi CADffm,

I apologize for any frustration that comes out in my response.  I'm  also dealing with linetype issues and screen blinking that I've never experienced before 2018.  I will try your suggestion, but I spend alot of time setting up standards and to change them midstream, and then change them back once the issue is fixed is not acceptable to me.  I will try to get in touch with Autodesk about these issues.  

Thanks again, Kurt

Message 30 of 37

Hi John.Vellek,

I see that you managed to get the hatches to show a transparency value in some shade of black/gray, but it should be a mask with a value in some shade of white.  I use the mask to faintly screen what is below, but your tests are applying a gray tone to those objects.  I think you are understanding my issue, but it's' hard to know if it is a glitch on my end or something within the software.  All I know is that in my previous version, which is still in use on another machine, the transparency works great.  

I assign a specific transparency to each mask depending on what the object is and what is below the object.  Sometimes I use transparency of 30, sometimes 90.  It all depends how I need things to read.

I really appreciate your time and assistance!

Thanks, Kurt

Message 31 of 37
cadffm

Hi Kurt,

I wrote to john v. and now i am writing the one important part where the problem is.

So you can explain the issue to the support team more in technic detail words.

To be sure we talk about the same issue. All your transparency objecs with color 250 appears in grey,

in earlier versions milky/white, yes?

1. The problem appears on Hatchs with pattern solid (not with Solidobjects or polylines with width >0

2. The problem occurs only by using a very special thing: Plotstyle screening set to 0%

(3. and object transparency is >0)

This is (one) of the changes from older version.

Transparency Hatchs with pattern solid, plot by a plotstyle with screening0% 

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 32 of 37
blair

We just discovered this issue as well, changed the ctb pen screening from 0 to 1.  Instead of white transparency, it has a slight tint that would be lost in reproduction...close enough for us.

Message 33 of 37
Anonymous
in reply to: peterjwinberg

I know that this is solved but did anyone try:
PLOTTRANSPARENCYOVERRIDE
set to 2

Message 34 of 37
des
Community Visitor
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

And eventually it is the true answer for my problem. What an as....les work in Autodesk, they force you to install 'new' version of software every year, bigger and heavier, and almost always worse!

Message 35 of 37
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I was hoping this was the fix. No Luck for me. Still trying to plot transparencies on a solid hatch.

Message 36 of 37
Anonymous

Hi John,

The transparency problem seems is only with Autocad 2018-2019, see my example (the same ctb):

pdf created with Autocad 2017 DWG to PDF.pc3:

pdf created with Autocad 2019 DWG to PDF.pc3:

in Autocad 2019 the hatch perimeters appeared, creating extra lines on the pdf drawing. Seems the problem is over 1 year old, 2019 version of Autocad released and duplicated the bug.  

Message 37 of 37
lyle

Thanks you that solved my issue, I could never get my Hatch transparency to work on solid hatch pattern. When converting to pdf the transparency value would always be 0. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta