Printing to paper does not match same scale as printing to PDF NEW Border FIle

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
ndawsonmccann
2288 Views, 2 Replies

Printing to paper does not match same scale as printing to PDF NEW Border FIle

Hello,

I am in the process of creating a new series of border files for the following sizes. 8.5” x 11” portrait, 8.5” x 11” landscape, 11”x17”, and 22”x34” ANSI D.

A bit of history, in all my years using CAD I have always used border files created by others (some of which I have modified) but they were always created by someone else. Now, it’s my turn and I thought this would be easy but I am running in to some hiccups and want to make sure I am using the correct methods.

I will start with my attempt at an 11x17 Border file. I created a rectangle that is exactly 11” H x 17” W and put this on a Non Plot layer. Next, I offset the rectangle inside by 0.375” to create the border for myself to work in.

Plot settings:

Paper size = 11x17

What to plot = Extents

Center the plot = checked

Scale = 1:1

Drawing orientation = 1:1

When I plot this to paper it prints correctly and is 1:1. To test the scale I drew some lines and dimensioned them in paper space in CAD and used my ruler to verify the dimensions on paper.

My first concern is that the mini preview window shows a red line all around the 11x17 edges indicating a problem. What if anything am I doing wrong?

The PROBLEM is when I print to PDF, the left and right hand side of the border is chopped off (in the PDF) and the scale is no longer 1:1 when printed to paper. This happens both when I use the Publish command using my same page setup that I used for the printer and when I use DWG To PDF.pc3 to plot.

What am I doing wrong? I attached a screenshot of my plot settings and the drawing file itself. 

Thanks, Nick

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Looks as though I solved all of my problems. Printing to "Layouts" instead of "Extents" removed the red errors from the mini preview. I also changed the paper size to ANSI full bleed B (11.00 x 17.00 Inches) and now the border is no longer cut off at the edges. Finally, it was the Adobe reader printing to "Fit".

-Nick

Message 3 of 3

I also modified the actual paper size (Printable Area). For example: ANSI 8.50 x 11.00 actual printable area was 8.44" x 10.94". I changed it to actually be 8.50" x 11.00".

I don't believe this changes the final PDF. However, I do prefer the way it looks in paper space while working in AutoCAD. 

-Nick

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta