Did you mean: 

Print Area Dotted Lines - What defines them? - Trouble centering Title Blocks

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
RockyBrown4134
369 Views, 5 Replies

Print Area Dotted Lines - What defines them? - Trouble centering Title Blocks

This old dog is having problems finding a bone.

The issue that I am having is I cannot get a title block and border correctly centered on the layout tab. I have used the layout manager to set my page size. But I am getting some odd boundary land. I have looked through the forum and I cannot find an answer to what I think is a simple question. Or it seems that way.

When I set a page size in the layout manager, what defines the dotted printable area boundary? Is there a setting or variables that need to be set? I thought it may be the variable, limits. But that does not seem to work. Am I missing something? There has to be a simpler way to achieve the goal that I am trying to accomplish. I am open to all suggestions.

Moderator: Please move this post if needed if it is in the wrong forum. Thanks.

Please see attached pictures. All title block borders were inserted at 0,0 and the Printer was set to AutoCAD PDF.pc3.

tb11x17.JPGtb22x34-1.jpgtb22x34-3.jpgtb2 Printers.JPG

If this response answers your question, Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution"

Rocky Brown
AutoCAD 2020 / Inventor 2020 / Plant 3D
Labels (4)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
pendean
in reply to: RockyBrown4134

@RockyBrown4134 The dotted line is the print margin location of the chosen driver and page size. That's it.

Try a different sheet size like ANSI EXPAND D or ANSI FULL BLEED D , both with smaller margins

pendean_0-1713300594532.png

OR... edit your titleblock every so slightly to fit to the sheet size you wish to commit to ultimately.

HTH

Message 3 of 6
RockyBrown4134
in reply to: pendean

Dean, Yes. I have tried using standard page sizes. That's where I get crazy settings. For Example, a 11 x 17 landscape, you would think limits were set to 0,0 and 17, 11. But I get a limit settings like -.75,-.25 and 16.25 and 10.75. I had one page setting where the title block was set at 0,0 and the print boundary and limits started at 7.5,5.5

Am I just being paranoid? Old school thinking, 11 x 17 usually has a border set 1/4" in, being 10.5" x 16.5". The print boundaries don't let you accomplish that. 

Do I just live with it? 

Thanks for the speedy reply. 

If this response answers your question, Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution"

Rocky Brown
Message 4 of 6
pendean
in reply to: RockyBrown4134

@RockyBrown4134 wrote:

...For Example, a 11 x 17 landscape, you would think limits were set to 0,0 and 17, 11. But I get a limit settings like -.75,-.25 and 16.25 and 10.75....

Printer margins vary by driver and brand, and always have since the dawn of CAD printing, there is rarely one that matches the other unless that driver offers an "expanded" or "full bleed" page size: I personally always aim for "full bleed" for all sheet sizes when available in a driver.

pendean_0-1713302577158.png

And depending on your choice of "what to plot", I prefer these choices:

pendean_1-1713302767973.pngpendean_2-1713302788059.pngpendean_3-1713302830657.pngpendean_4-1713302874436.png

Message 5 of 6
RockyBrown4134

I'll try those options and see what happens.

I'll let you know.

Thanks.

Rocky Brown
Message 6 of 6
RockyBrown4134

Dean;

I was able to play around with the ANSI expand and ANSI full bleed sizes. They worked better than what I originally had. I ended up using the ANSI full bleed sizes. I had to make a couple of "tweaks" to the current border size and Title Block. I was able to get it very consistent from "B" to "C" to "D" formats. 

Thanks for your help.

Rocky Brown

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta