Did you mean: 

Polyline troubles

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
1038 Views, 6 Replies

Polyline troubles

In my job as a shape cutting programmer ( abrasive waterjet, laser, cnc plasma cutting ) I am often sent CAD drawings of questionable origin. Sometimes these drawings contain spline entities that don't translate well into my CAM software. Usually I flatten them using the express tool which in addition to projecting all entities on the z zero plane converts most splines into arc polylines. This would be great except that frequently it leaves all of the lines and arcs slightly detached ( so close that you can barely see any separation between the pick points at the ends despite zooming in all the way ) from the polyarcs thus preventing the profile from being converted into a single polyline. This wouldn't be a problem so much for the CAM software as it can accomodate some gap but as I am stuck laying out my nest sheets in AutoCAD I offset the profile by half of the required part separation, change the offset to a contrasting color layer and procede to layout the parts avoiding any overlap of the offset profiles. Now to my problem, with these "dirty drawings" after flatening them I have been manually re-connecting all of the lines to the arcs, picking the end point of, preferably, a line placing it aside, picking it up again and snaping it to the end of the arc. It isoften the case this is a tedious and time consuming process. I would like to know if there is a method using AutoCAD or some other free software app ( if my company was willing to spend money I would be using legitimate nesting software ) that will knit the ends together.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Patchy
in reply to: Anonymous

I thought in PEDIT, multiple, join, it has a place called "FUZZ" distance to make broken lines and polylines join together.

Message 3 of 7
ВeekeeCZ

Flatten routine has its troubles. Try this one by Joe Burke.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: ВeekeeCZ

I have loaded superflatten and run it on my most recent troublesome drawing. I don't have any comments on it's ability to actually reduce all entities to the z zero plane but it doesn't seem to have converted any of the splines to arcs, which is my primary use of the express flatten tool.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

I appreciate the reply. The gif you referenced did look promising and I installed app and gave it a try. Unfortunately it did not solve the problem, though the app may have some other function that will address the issue. The problem is that the ends of the lines and arcs are so close, in most cases, that no separation can be seen even with the zoom all the way in. This probably puts the ends within a few picoinches but for joining up polyline segments in AutoCAD close is not good enough, or so it would seem. I looked for the "fuzz" modifier to no avail, perhaps it is a function available in ACAD 2015 (which I do have but havn't started using often yet).

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

I found that with further study of the polyline app that there is a function called "polyline weld" which closes small holes in polylines and has the "fuzz" modifier and it solves the problem I've been labouring under. Thanks much.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta