Did you mean: 

plotting at 1=1 mm

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
Moshe-A
4287 Views, 21 Replies

plotting at 1=1 mm

Guys Hi,

i do not know if this ever been disscussed here (atleast i never seen it here).

in our region area most of users are captive of plotting at plot scale 1=1 mm in Layout whereas their model space in cm

the problem with that is:

they set viewport scale to be 1:10  (zoom 1/10xp) where actually they need 1:100

set viewport scale to be 1:5 (zoom 1/5xp) where actually they need 1:50

set viewport scale to be 1:1 (zoom 1/5xp) where actually they need 1:10

for years i have been preaching them to change the bad habit and define their layouts to be syncrinized with modelspace e.g in CM and plot at scale 10=1 (which is 1:1 in cm) but have a tiny luck.

the exchange from this is:

set viewport scale to be 1:100 where actually 1:100 is needed

set viewport scale to be 1:50 where actually 1:50 is needed

set viewport scale to be 1:1 where actually 1:1 is needed

this is more correct, more suitable, more logical to do - am i right?!

now one user who oppose me says if he adopt my 10=1 plot scale he could not use 'scale lineweight' anymore cause he offen needs to plot a 1:100 drawing at 1:250/1:500/1:1000 scale and he uses scale lineweight to shrink line width accordingly.

in my method he would get an opposite results.

so he challenged me this week - find me an alternative to scale lineweight and i will fluid with 10=1

i did suggested a designated ctb (with thin lineweights) but this yet did not conviced him.

have you Experts more Ideas?

thanks,

Moshe

21 REPLIES 21
Message 21 of 22
ToanDN
in reply to: leothebuilder

@leothebuilder wrote:

It really seems to me that the problem here is the users, not AutoCAD. Unfortunately your dealing with some stubborn ones. 

You hit the nail right on the head.

First they dig a hole, then rant and rave cuz they can't get out of the hole.

Well, to the 'stubborn' users defense, they came up with that workaround because AutoCAD does not offer 1=1cm on the page setup manager so I wouldn't pour all the blaims on the users.  To a lot of folks, especially on the production management side, they care more about the outcome, and less how you get there.  In this case, the 'stubborns' plots come out just as desired per OP statement.

On the other hand, OP is trying to go with a more academic aproach, or call it a correct process if you want, by enforcing the correct viewport scale approach.  The points OP laid out are definitely valid coming from a tech expert/ educator position and perspective.  The obstacle is the software limitations, thus the outcome is not as desired.

So OP, you either create dedicated plot style tables for reduced/enlarged plot + uncheck the scale lineweight box, or just have them plot full sized to PDF.  They then can plot the PDF to whatever sizes they need and all the lineweights will be scaled properly.

Message 22 of 22
Moshe-A
in reply to: Anonymous

finally i get the feeling that you are starting to understand me

but the problem is not only 'stubborn ones' they are many

and they gives excuses on top of excuses why they can not move to 10=1

some of them even do not knows why the do not want - just do not want - that it!

i also get the feeling that 'scale line weights' is also an excuse,  cause as i said earler i did suggested the ctb workaround.

that it guys let retire  to this weekend in peace

thank you all

Moshe

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report