Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plotter won't print A1 only A4, format problem?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
3130 Views, 8 Replies

Plotter won't print A1 only A4, format problem?

Hi all,

I made a template with different sizes and scales.

I start drawing outside these templates. Then I copy the template over the drawing and I want to print this.

Is this the right way do start my drawings (and print on different paper sizes anyways?

However I always did it this way. But now the drawing no longer comes out in A1 format. The plotter works, also on A1 format. For example, if I print a .JPEG or .PDF, the plotter will print A1 format.

Do you see what I'm doing wrong? I have added a file in the attachment.

I select print --> Then 'Window' --> Selecting the drawing (ends of template) --> Then I select the paper size A1 and the scale.

The settings also remain in Autocad, but the actual printout is A4 format.

Hopefully you have a solution for me! 🙂

Thanks!

Labels (3)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

>> Is this the right way do start my drawings (and print on

>> different paper sizes anyways?

Not really, title blocks should be placed in layouts and also the layouts should have the definition of the paper format.

So if you want to prepare a template then create for each paper size a layout and place the corresponding titleblock/border on this layout/paperspace.

>> I select print --> Then 'Window' --> Selecting the drawing (ends

>> of template) --> Then I select the paper size A1 and the scale.

>> The settings also remain in Autocad, but the actual printout is A4 format.

The drawing you sent is neither set to A1 nor the correct window and scale. So we can not reproduce your behavior as your settings are not there like you described it.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 9
pendean

What is your posted DWG file supposed to show?
What is the plotter? Which driver are you using?

The DWG is not set up to plot to any plotter, just a PDF, to an A3 sheet, not A1, and your modelspace content contains 4-titleblocks.

Please correct and provide the additional information.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

>>>The drawing you sent is neither set to A1 nor the correct window and scale. So we can not reproduce your behavior as your settings are not there like you described it.

I make my drawings in this file, outside the template, so in the black space. 

When I finish my drawing I copy the template I want my drawing in, either templade A1 or A0 etc. 

Then I want to print my drawing. I select print, then I can change some settings.

I select 'Window'

Autocad takes me back to my drawing

I select the outer corners of my drawing/template

I select my plotter (HP T250)

I change the paper size to A1

I change the scale

Then I print...but the output is A4, not A1.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Hi Pendean, thanks!

What is your posted DWG file supposed to show?

It only shows some templates of formats I want to draw in.
What is the plotter? Which driver are you using?

Im using HP T250 Designjet. I downloaded and use the driver of this type

The DWG is not set up to plot to any plotter, just a PDF, to an A3 sheet, not A1, and your modelspace content contains 4-titleblocks.

I know. But I can change the driver settings, right? I'm doing this:

Select print

Select printer T250

Chose 'Window'

I select the 'Window' I want to print. These are the top corners of the template

Then I change the paper size to A1

Set the scale

then print

Output A4, not A1

Message 6 of 9
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

I'm even not following the workflow you showed as I can't see any layout handling.

If you are plotting from model-space (as you plot with option "Window") then I suggest to prepare a template as mentioned above.

>> Then I print...but the output is A4, not A1

Is the output clipped or showing the whole content you marked by window?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi Alfred, thanks!

Are you saying It is imposible to print this file in A1 format?

In the template you see a A1 grid. Could you try to print this grid into A1?

Select print,

Select Window

Select the Window you want to print (outer lines of the A1 grid)

Then paper size A1

and print.

Or what do you suggest to do?

Thanks for your help.

Message 8 of 9
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> Are you saying It is imposible to print this file in A1 format?

No, but for a structured drawing I will not plot from model-space.

Simple sample: you have a CAD-part in model-space, lets say a ball bearing. I want to use this ball-bearing in other drawings, either as block or as XRef ... when inserting the ball-bearing I don't want to see any titleblock from the ball-bearing. Think about 10 types of screws, 2 types of bearings and a lot more parts and every part inserts it's border and titleblock ... 😉

So titleblock and boarder is part of layouts, not inserted in modelspace.

Scaling is part of the viewport inside the layout, no any part in modelspace should be scaled to be able to plot it (again, when inserting a screw from this drawing into a new project, you need to rescale it, not well to do this).

And having a template with a few layouts prepared, pagesetup done, viewport created, border inserted, titleblock inserted is the most efficient way to get new drawings ready for plot.

>> In the template you see a A1 grid. Could you try to print this grid into A1?

At least yes, however, your A1 border ration X:Y does not match the A1 X:Y ratio (841:594), that's why not all fits to the page when using 1:20 scale.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Message 9 of 9
pendean

@Anonymous your modelspace content is incorrect, is not drawn at 1:1 scale, that is why you are having issues.

So what scale did you resize these modelspace titleblocks to exactly? Your PLOT command is set to a default of 1:100 scale, and giving you false return, your titleblocks say 1:20 but that appears to be wrong too, your titleblock does not fit.

Welcome to the archaic method you decided to use for titleblocks in modelspace: consider upgrading your skillset to use layouts and 1:1 sized titleblocks, it is so much simpler and easier than your 1990s technique.

Do you need tutorials to move to layouts? Let us know.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report