Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PDF import not importing white space

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
raybryant1998
2068 Views, 10 Replies

PDF import not importing white space

For several projects I have imported PDF's and they have turned out fine, but for some reason AutoCAD has started excluding the whitespace from my PDF layer. I have not played with any settings or updated AutoCAD.

Labels (1)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

when you pdfimport the file, did you set this setting? thanks

imm.JPG

Remember : without the difficult times in your LIFE, you wouldn't be who you are today. Be grateful for the good and the bad. ANGER doesn't solve anything. It builds nothing, but it can destroy everything...
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 3 of 11
imadHabash
in reply to: raybryant1998

Hi,

This is how PDFIMPORT command works . Prior to AutoCAD 2017, it was not possible to convert a PDF file to a DWG file using AutoCAD or AutoCAD LT. PDF files could only be inserted as underlays (external references). The content could then be traced and scaled to known dimensions, if desired. Using PDFIMPORT with PDFs created from scanned images/documents will result in the creation of a raster image file, which is then attached to the drawing as an xref. The raster imagery will not be converted into editable geometry.

So try PDFATTACH command .  You can reference and place underlay files in drawing files the same way as you do raster image files; they are not actually part of the drawing file. Like raster files, the underlay is linked to the drawing file through a path name, which can be changed or removed at any time. However, you cannot bind an underlay to a drawing and you cannot edit or modify the underlay’s content.

Message 4 of 11
vinodkl

Hi,

Can show us how these white spaces look like in the PDF or share the PDF so that we can try to PDFIMPORT and check if it looks the same as yours or different. BTW have you checked the setting while importing? Have you unchecked the importing of hatch from the PDF unknowingly during import?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ವಿನೋದ್ ಕೆ ಎಲ್( System Design Engineer)

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others.

Please mark "Accept as Solution" if my reply resolves the issue or answers your question, to help others in the community.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 5 of 11
raybryant1998
in reply to: vinodkl

Sorry for the late reply, I had computer problems that needed to be repaired.

Correct ImportCorrect ImportMy Settings for the Current ImportMy Settings for the Current ImportCurrent ImportCurrent Import

Message 6 of 11
pendean

Those look like two different separate PDFs: any chance you can share those files here?

Q: why is your UCS rotated?

Message 7 of 11
raybryant1998
in reply to: pendean

Here are the pdf files. I can't recall why my UCS was rotated when I took the screen shot.

Message 8 of 11
pendean

Thanks for the PDFs: One is a vector (the white background one, idoc-pub..., it can be converted to AutoCAD entities), the others are raster scans (they only come in as pictures). Correct?

They are different PDF types. I don't see how to easily back the white background show up with the two scans.

Message 9 of 11
vinodkl

Hi,

All three PDFs are scanned copies and not doesn't contain any vector elements to import them as Autocad entities. 

idoc.pub pdf is only made of single raster image whereas the other two PDF there are multiple raster images inside each. 

While importing the PDF you need to have the option "vector geometry" checked which would import the vector entities into the drawing.

vinodkl_0-1594798885012.png

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others.

Please mark "Accept as Solution" if my reply resolves the issue or answers your question, to help others in the community.
Message 10 of 11

Okay, thanks for the help.

What I did is convert my pdf that I was having problems with into a jpg, then bag into a pdf, so that the pdf was one gian raster image.

Thanks.

Message 11 of 11
vinodkl

Hi,

May be you could do the same with the other two pdfs as well convert them to jpg and then back to pdf if you want then with white background or you could also attach the jpg instead of convert it back to PDF🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report