Did you mean: 

pc3 changes paper size

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
dkelner67U2P
671 Views, 12 Replies

pc3 changes paper size

Years ago I was excited about pc3 files and made one because we change printers periodically. So, now here we are, changing printers. I made the new pcs file. I made sure the windows driver is set just like the old one: 11x17 landscape. What I expected: I open an old drawing, it uses the pc3 file, and I can just hit print. What I get: I plot, pc3 file is default, but paper size changes. I googled, I tried changing the toggle in options, plot and publish, general plot option. "Keep size" option defaults to 8-1/2 x 11, while "use plot device" option just greys the choice. The whole point was to be able to change printers without having to click anything. If I have to reselect paper size back to 11x17, I might as well select base printer. Is this normal? Does anyone know how I can keep the paper size to default to the original drawing or pc3 file or printer driver (11 x 17).

edit:

I finally talked my I.T. to just upgrade me to 2025. Problem seems to go away. I made a new pc3 file using 2025, and printing in 2025 now respects paper size. So looks like the issue was in how version 2019 was handling things.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
cadffm
in reply to: dkelner67U2P

Hi,

I am not sure to understood what you did in details, but let me say how it should work.

1. You created a .pc3 with a good name like CoolPlotter1.pc3 

2. Best way now: Add ALL of your papersizes 

3a You can copy/move the .pc3 and .pmp to all PC and use them without any changes 

3b For usual you can use in other versions too,

but from time to time (some versions), they are not compatible and you have to create the .pc3 from scratch.

(So far I know, the old .pmp still works, so you can add the old file to your .pc3)

-

Q: Why did you setup a new .pc3?

Did you add the old .pmp or did your recreate a new one with the same sizes?

Did you add all needed papersizes in the old/new one?

It sounds the old "11x17" has another definition or another name than the new one.

If you like, share your old .pc3/.pmp one sample .dwg (drawing content is not needed, just the original pagesetup)

and the .pc3/.pmp you using now.

Sebastian

Message 3 of 13
pendean

If you have to change paper sizes, your PC3 file was not created correctly as a one size always PC3 file.
Is this how you ended up creating the PC3 file after the changes you did in the driver defaults https://www.autodesk.com/support/technical/article/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Creating-plotter-c...

What is the new printer make/model/driver version installed in Windows? What is your Windows version?
Can you hare your PC3 file here?

What did you name the new PC3 file? If it is the same name of the old PC3 file, or totally different?
Message 4 of 13
dkelner67U2P
in reply to: pendean

windows 10.

Konica Minolta printer. The company used a Pharos print manager on the server, and decided to remove the service. So I created a new pc3 and named it the same filename so I can redirect to the new driver.

Included you will find the old pc3 and new. they were both named the same. The old worked beautifully. The new, would not respect the page size. Notice on the new i tried to filter out all sizes but the 11x17. this did not even work. i can open the same drawing 10 times. 5 times it defaults to 11x17 fine. the other five times the field is gray with no page size shown at all.

Message 5 of 13
dkelner67U2P
in reply to: cadffm

The company used a Pharos print manager on the server, and decided to remove the service. So I created a new pc3 and named it the same filename so I can redirect to the new driver.

Included you will find the old pc3 and new. they were both named the same. The old worked beautifully. The new, would not respect the page size. Notice on the new, I tried to filter out all sizes but the 11x17. This did not even work. I can open the same drawing 10 times. 5 times it defaults to 11x17 fine. the other five times the field is gray with no page size shown at all.

Message 6 of 13
cadffm

I am missing the old (and new?) .pmp file!

But as explained above: Check the identical spelling of the "old 11x17" and the "new 11x17"

Is the papersize name 100% the same?

Sebastian

Message 7 of 13
dkelner67U2P

The filename and page size looks to be named exactly the same.

Using the new pc3 file:

It is weird how it is switching back and forth randomly. I just tried again to make sure. I opened a file, it defaulted to 11x17, and printed perfectly. So, I closed the file without saving and reopened it. This time the paper size is gray with no paper size and will not print. Close without saving, open file again, this time it works.

Message 8 of 13
cadffm

You added the new .pc3 hours/days before, so you restart Acad one or more times since?

In that case it should act every time the same way.

Sebastian

Message 9 of 13
cadffm

deleted - trouble with my browser / wrong thread

Sebastian

Message 10 of 13
cadffm

deleted - trouble with my browser / wrong thread

Sebastian

Message 11 of 13
dkelner67U2P

New pc3 file yesterday. restarted many times. By the way I have acad 2019. My coworker has 2022. He is out today. Monday, I will try to get him to make the new pc3 using 2022, and see if that does anything different.

(FYI, I am seeing some of your posts in this thread. I think they were meant as replies to somebody else? something about mpr and new threads)

Message 12 of 13
cadffm

Hi,

>>"FYI"

Yes, the was a chaos with multiple postings, sorry - I don't know why that happend.

Your win printer drivers:

Now: "KONICA MINOLTA CommonDriver PCL

Old: KONICA MINOLTA Universal PCL

.PC3

a Papersize is not stored in your .pc3, it is defined in your local Windows printer driver and/or your .pmp file

Your old .pc3 wasn't linked to a .pmp, so you used the windows printer papersizes.

(That's why I wrote: "Did you add all needed papersizes in the old/new one?", because a user defined papersize would be part of .pmp file and you have to access, no matter of your windows printer driver)

I am not sure if the Name, or the Size of a paper is important for AutoCAD to find the right papersize, I guess it is the size - paper name independing, but in this case it would work 0% or 100%, unusual.

-

I'm afraid I can't help here without installing both drivers, but I don't have the time.

Sebastian

Message 13 of 13
dkelner67U2P

Thank you so much for working with me. I finally talked my I.T. to just upgrade me to 2025. Problem seems to go away. I made to pc3 file using 2025, and printing in 2025 now respects paper size. So looks like the issue was in how version 2019 was handling things. Thanks Again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report