Did you mean: 

pasted objects disappear

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
Anonymous
40251 Views, 17 Replies

pasted objects disappear

I have found several threads that are somewhat similar, but none of the solutions offered (if any) work. Here is my problem:

AutoCAD 2009 Mechanical - 

In 3D model space, if I select an object to copy (whether with base point or not), then select paste, I can see the object as I move it. But, as soon as I paste it, I cannot see it. All of my layers are turned on, not frozen, etc. Zoom to extents indicates that the object has not been pasted successfully. HOWEVER, if I go right into the Block Editor, select the <Current Drawing> block and open the editor, the object is there. Upon closing the block editor (with or without saving changes) when I return to Model space, the object now magically appears. This is very frustrating and wastes a lot of time, going in/out of the block editor. I have enabled hardware acceleration, as several other solutions have indicated, but the problem remains.

Any help to correct this problem would be GREATLY appreciated.

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
Patchy
in reply to: Anonymous

Try SCALELISTEDIT, RESET

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: Patchy

No good... still doing the same thing.
Message 4 of 18
pendean

So the problem is in one DWG file?
Or one block in one DWG file?
Post the file here, identify the block in question and let's all have a look for ourselves.
Message 5 of 18
Anonymous

See attached. The problem does not appear to be block-dependent. You can choose any block in the drawing, copy it, and when you go to paste it, you can "see" it as you place it, but as soon as you click to paste, it goes away. As I said, if you go to the block editor, open a block, then close it, the pasted block now appears.

Message 6 of 18
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

I have tried it with AutoCAD 2012, copy+paste works without issues here.

But I would never work with blocks named like "A$xxxx" which sounds like application created block types, so now there are two questions:

a) why don't you use the AutoCAD command _COPY? It's the cleaner method for copying objects within a drawing.

b) what application created that blocks (or what import-/converter software was used)?

- alfred -

PS: let AutoCAD run _AUDIT (or open the file with command _RECOVER) as AutoCAD 2012 finds 2 errors in the drawing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 7 of 18
Patchy

Same here, tested with 13 & 14. Using  Copy, Ctrl+C and Paste not a single problem and Audit had 2 errors.

I suggest get patches and try it on another PC, update video driver if it's the cause.

Message 8 of 18
pendean

As others have noted, I can isolate the few blocks in your file an copy/paste all day long with no issues.

1. Use COPY command: it's the better way to copy inside AutoCAD since copy/paste is a Windows OS function.
2. If/when you use COPY?PASTE next time and the problem repeats, do this test: QSAVE the file and close AutoCAD. Now reopen AutoCAD and the same file: does your missing block reappear?
Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

The block names were assigned by AutoCAD, as I selected all of the objects that I wanted in the block, clicked Copy from the menu, then clicked Paste as Block from the menu. No option was ever presented for naming the block. Also ran _AUDIT and fixed all errors... The problem remains. _COPY, however, works great.
Message 10 of 18
Anonymous

To answer your question, pendean, I did a copy/paste (and object disappeared), then did a QSAVE, exited, and reopened the file... presto, the block was there.
Message 11 of 18
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> The block names were assigned by AutoCAD [...]

Well, not thought about that as I never use copy and paste-as-block within one drawing.

In such case I would start the block-command, give the block a readable name (so it's clear what block is what object) and run then _INSERT (or _COPY) with that block (just my way to work).

>> I did a copy/paste (and object disappeared), then did a QSAVE, exited, and reopened the file... presto, the block was there.

Let's try a step less complex: after pasting change to Layout1 and back to ModelSpace ... if the block appeared now I guess you have more problems with your graphiccard. You might then test to disable the hardware acceleration (command _3DCONFIG ==> manual tune) and do the same copy&paste again.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 12 of 18
pendean

Pretty much have to agree: your video card is choked up with the heavy load of having AutoCAD using it.
Message 13 of 18
Anonymous

This has happened to me many times in paper space in AutoCAD 2018. 

It seems to be some sort of glitch when you copy objects from paper space in one drawing to paper space in another, so the only way I seem to get it to work is paste your objects into the paper space which will seemingly disappear before your eyes, and (which is slightly unbelievable) zoom miles out so your sheet becomes a dot on the screen and zoom back in a few times and the pasted objects seem to reappear in the paper space. 

Super high tech I know but it works!

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous

the object you copy might be a block, you can try explode the object first then copy paste to your drawing.

hope that will help

Alex

Message 15 of 18
Anonymous

haha that had my head working for awhile, no hidden layers, purging , auditing , wblocking, just a simple zoom in and out!

Message 16 of 18
nrz13

I sometimes have to use the REGEN command after pasting to show pasted objects.

Work:  AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100, 3 Dell Monitors (3840x2160)
Home: AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-11700, 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro SSD, NVIDIA Quadro P2200, Dell Monitor (3840x2160)
Message 17 of 18
Anonymous

try right clicking the block and check annotative scale

Message 18 of 18
cbcaball

I just had this problem, but I fixed it by making sure my viewport is not turned off and then I could see my blocks/copied items.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta