Paste Special Images Missing

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
Abcadd
10011 Views, 16 Replies

Paste Special Images Missing

Hi,

I just brought photos (.jpg images) into Autocad 2014 by using the following process.

Right click on .jpg image in the folder

click on edit

it opens in paint

select all

copy

in autocad i clicked on paste special

specified insertion point

enter

The image shows and I repeat other images again and again.  

However after I save , close drawing and open it again there are no images!

Any help would be appreciated - Thank you in advance.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
darawork
in reply to: Abcadd

Autocad is losing the path to the image location, because there is none. Try inserting the raster image instead: [ALT]+[i],[i].

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 3 of 17
Abcadd
in reply to: darawork

Thanks for the reply but I want to embed the object into the drawing and not treat it as an xref so that years (months /days) down the road when someone deletes the .jpgs from the main file to save space on the sever I don't lose that image from the drawings.

Message 4 of 17
darawork

Did you select the type of file in Paste Special? I tried the 'Paintbrush Picture' type, inserted it, closed autocad, reopened and it was still there.

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 5 of 17
Abcadd
in reply to: darawork

Hi again,

Yes, I did select the type of file in paste special (paintbrush picture); it showed up in the drawing as expected but after saving, closing and opening up again I got the "Open drawing errors found - One error was found in the drawing file during open. Would you like to cancel this open?" messege. Looking back on my original time I did this I had about 20 photos embedded and when I closed and opened the drawing I had 20 errors so I am assuming those pictures are the errors. it appears that the images are creating errors in the file. I have to run the RECOVER command to open the file minus the pictures.

Message 6 of 17
TrueGrafix

Same is my problem and have not found any solution yet.

Message 7 of 17
markone
in reply to: TrueGrafix

I GET THIS ERROR QUITE OFTEN, BUT NOT ALWAYS.  I CAN TAKE PHOTOS WITH MY PHONE, EDIT THEM IN PHOTOSHOP, OPEN IN PAINT AND DOP THEM IN PRETTY AS YOU PLEASE.  i JUST SCANNED A PAGE FROM A MANUAL I AM WORKING ON, SAVED IT AS A JPEG, ALTERED IT IN PHOTOSHOP, OPENED IT IN PAINT, INSERTED IT AND JUST BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN BURNED O SO MANY TIMES, QUICKLY SAVE AND CLOSE TO CHECK, AND SURE ENOUGH IT IS COMPLETELY GONE!  THAT'S A STUMPER!  

WOULD BE COOL IF SOMEONE AT AUTODESK COULD TRY THAT ONE!

Tags (2)
Message 8 of 17
john.vellek
in reply to: markone

Hi @markone,

When I go through these steps, I paste special as Device Independent Bitmap when using AutoCAD 2014. I close the file, exit AutoCAD, reopen and the image is intact.

Does this work for you too?Capture.PNG

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if my post fully solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 9 of 17
markone
in reply to: john.vellek

Just tried that, when it opened back up I get a blank frame.  I attached a snip of the screen!

I could attach the photo too if you want to try it out!

Let me know

Message 10 of 17
markone

Also, just had a look at the properties and now thw source application is picture (Metafile)  I did copy it out of Paint!

Mark

Message 11 of 17
john.vellek

Hi Mark,

Sure, attach a file and I will see if I can duplicate your results.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 12 of 17
markone

Here is the image file

Message 13 of 17
markone

just tried it out of photoshop, the image stays after the save, but I have never been able to get a nice looking copy and paste out of photoshop yet.

Strange

Mark

Message 14 of 17
john.vellek

Hi @markone,

I believe the issue might be realted to image size. When I look at the image properties in MS Paint, it is 2550x3300. I select all, paste special into AutoCAD, and it is all white when I reopen the drawing. If I change to MS Paint Default size of 1152x648 then it is retained properly.

Capture.PNGCapture2.PNG

Next, just as a test, I opened the image in Paint.net. I did a copy paste into AutoCAD and again it came up all white when reopened. So, in Paint.net I scaled the image down by 50%. This time in AutoCAD it worked fine. I have not found any documentation in the knowledge network regarding the limitations but will update might post if I can find more information.

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if my post fully solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Message 15 of 17
wispoxy

Change to 2D Wireframe temporary and run the XREF command to see if the .jpg reference link is good.
Message 16 of 17
dacasas

I did some tests in Civil 3D 2018, and I found out that the limitation is about 6.99 megapixels. I don't know why. Some of my results:

WidthHeightResolutionEmbedded
307121506.6027e6Ok
313021916.8594e6Ok
3159.52212.256.9896e6Ok
300023306.9900e6Ok
3174.252222.6257.0552e6Failed
318922337.1210e6Failed
Message 17 of 17
markone
in reply to: dacasas

That is good to now the limit that you found, there definitely is one. I
usually have to resize the images I embed in my documents.
Thanks for experimenting

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost