Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Page Layout Template Design

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
908 Views, 6 Replies

Page Layout Template Design

I am designing a new page layout template for AutoCAD. I have been looking for inspiration online but unfortunately, I see much of the same thing repeatedly. I would like to create something that is new, fresh, and not your typical boring CAD template! This template must obviously display the drawing information (Title, Scale, Date etc...) but it would be nice to have something creative and fun!

Does anyone have any inspiration for me? Or any examples they can share?

(Inventor templates work just the same...)

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
ian.mag
in reply to: Anonymous

Hey @Anonymous,

Your question possed herein is very broad and relative as well. Would you break it down some more so that guys give you their ideas, i.e is it the arrangement, would you want to use field or attributes to spice up thing etc. something of that sort.

Message 3 of 7
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

It sounds like you are trying to design a titleblock.  I suggest that you first research requirements of your local jurisdiction regarding layout and font size.  Many jurisdictions still require d hardcopy and don't want to unroll a set of drawings to see the project name, number , design firm, etc.

If you have an example of what you are starting from, you can share it here to get more ideas.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: ian.mag

I am really open to anything, there are no limitations. I am intending on using attributes, but there is no specific order or arrangement. I have included a crop of the basic info I need to include, it could be more condensed if needed. Not looking for someone to draw something for me, just some design ideas would be nice!

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Here is a design I have started with.

Message 6 of 7
ian.mag

@Anonymous,

Thanks for shading some light into this. I think that a good starting point, though I also like what @john.vellek has pointed out in the above comment. I would add the following suggestions:-

1. You may want to have a notes section, that relate to the drawing been shown in the viewports i.e structural, architectural or even mechanical notes.

2. You may inlude the revision description to coincide with the revision number

3. Well with regards to the title block vertices, you may go for a chamfered or rounded vertices, possibly with a very thick line around the edges, or even just L-shapes at the four corners with no edges at all.

4. To avoid future manual and tedious work during plotting or sending drawings you may want to use sheet set, which combines fields and attributes

As I mentioned earlier, designing a page layout is very broad and items pointed out above are just but a drop in the oceans, of the endless ideas one may have. Every once in a while I also have ideas popping up in my head of how better my title block can be.

Message 7 of 7
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

If your jurisdiction prefers all the labels and such on the right hand side as indicated in your image, you might consider orienting all the text so that it runs vertically as well. I suggest trying to minimize the amount of room the title block takes too.  Far too frequently you will end up with a drawing that is just a touch too wide to fit!

Perhaps for fun you could practice with positive and negative space. Try inverting everything so you can use white text to knock out the black. Or maybe everything gets rotated slightly just to screw up any OCR capability 🙂

Shadow effects can also be fun.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta