Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OLE Objects resizing

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
5157 Views, 10 Replies

OLE Objects resizing

We are currently pasting OLE objects from excel to our page layout using the pastespecial and then selecting paste link.  So basically we are linking the OLE from autocad to excel.  We then resize our OLE object to the desired size.  for the most part there are no issues, but every so often random OLE objects change in size without any manipulation from us.  We have tried to lock the aspect ratio once we completed the desired size with no luck.  Can you give me any insight into how we can correct this issue?

Thank you, 

Steven

Tags (1)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
RobDraw
in reply to: Anonymous

OLEs are notoriously hard to work with sometimes. I avoid them at all costs.

Have you considered using AutoCAD tables with a data link instead of OLE?

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous

Yes, the data links suck!!!!!!!!!!!! To much work for a simple procedure. They don't update instantaneously like the OLE link from excel. Not sure why but this one main reason we do not use them. Why is there not an option to lock row and column height as well as scale width and height percentage. That would solve the problem.

Steve Annese

[Description: MEC Mail Icon (2)]

MEC Construction
130 Meadow Ridge Road
Mt. Morris, PA 15349

E: sannese@mecwv.com
W: www.mecwv.com
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous

Yes, the data links suck!!!!!!!!!!!! To much work for a simple procedure. They don't update instantaneously like the OLE link from excel. Not sure why but this one main reason we do not use them. Why is there not an option to lock row and column height as well as scale width and height percentage. That would solve the problem.

Steve Annese

[Description: MEC Mail Icon (2)]

MEC Construction
130 Meadow Ridge Road
Mt. Morris, PA 15349

E: sannese@mecwv.com
W: www.mecwv.com
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: RobDraw

The other reason the data links suck is they are so difficult to change the link.  We are using about 50 links in a drawing, then we duplicate the drawings and need to change the source.  OLE vs. Data link, the OLE wins every time by leaps and bounds.  If you guys could fix the data link for ease of manipulation and linking I would gladly switch.

Message 6 of 11
RobDraw

@Anonymous wrote:
Yes, the data links suck!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then you are doing it wrong. They suck much less than OLEs. I would explore that option in more depth and refine your procedure. Controlling OLEs can be difficult, if you continue this route, good luck.

Rob

Message 7 of 11
RobDraw

@Anonymous wrote:

If you guys could fix the data link for ease of manipulation and linking I would gladly switch.

You are talking to a fellow user, not AutoDesk.

Rob

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous

Sorry, didnt mean to be disrespectful.  Another issue OLE vs Data link:  the data links files are 30 times large than the OLE link.  This slows down process time and at times would crash due to lack of processing power.  

Message 9 of 11
RobDraw

Whatever.

IMHO, OLEs are very unfriendly. I had a project years ago that had files with OLEs from Excel that would print correctly from one computer and not from another. The solution was to change the screen resolution. Sorry, but that was totally unacceptable to me and I've never used any since. If you want to poo poo a better, more reliable solution, that is up to you.

Rob

Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

@RobDraw wrote:

Whatever.

IMHO, OLEs are very unfriendly. I had a project years ago that had files with OLEs from Excel that would print correctly from one computer and not from another. The solution was to change the screen resolution. Sorry, but that was totally unacceptable to me and I've never used any since. If you want to poo poo a better, more reliable solution, that is up to you.

Thank you RobDraw.....many hours wasted trying to work out why an OLE table kept doubling (not quite) in size when I altered data, but the data shrunk inside the table. Couldn't resize the data...only the whole table.

Picked up on your "screen resolution" comment. Had a thought that I'd recently purchased a 4K screen and it resized a lot of menus etc through the Graphics Card due to the high screen resolution. Removed this scaling from Graphics Card and presto....I can update my ole object...

Thanks for putting me on the right track!!  And wow, this program has got some quirks!

Mark

Message 11 of 11
mattdVF27J

This is the reoccurring theme I find in ACAD. Many options and all have some major drawback. OLEs are what are deployed in our area of work. Run into the same issue, simply changing a number in the excel results in a stretched OLE which than requires reset. Don't get me started, were using a software that has a command called "REGEN". I mean sure ACAD can do some really smart things, but sometimes it does some really dumb things more often! I mean why do I constantly have to "cattle prod" ACAD in to doing what is should do quietly in the background. Of all the software it its surely my most unpleasant one to use at times.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report